Top Schools

senator

Top Schools

Post by senator »

Ok, Guys,

I'm getting tired of the negativity - I am as much to blame sometimes as others.

Let's take this time to erase all BS, do what this site is intended to do and be positive and help those people who want to find a good school, not a so-called "Tier 1"school.

What schools would we recommend as good to really good, ALL THINGS CONSIDERED.

For example, Shanghai American School (and International School of Beijing) was a top school when I was an international teacher - 1990's - 2000's.
But now, even though the salary/benefits, resources are great, I would not rate it a top school because it is in China and pollution is just too bad to ignore - I know, some of you would take the risk or maybe don't even consider it a risk, but humor me for this post. Also, the workload might be a little too much. Hey, we want a life, too.

So, to help our fellow teachers find the right school, let me start things off:

Montkiara International School, KL, Malaysia- Salary is ok, but the cost of living allowance makes up for it. Cost of living is low. Health insurance is just ok and you have to be reimbursed for services after you pay your own money, so if you have health issues, maybe you should look elsewhere. Hospitals are first rate and there is a good clinic near the school. The Malaysian EPF (retirement) is phenomenal, you contribute 11% and the school 19%! You can leave here with a ton of cash. And the Montkiara neighborhood is great, you can live close to school, KL is great- lots of cheap restaurants, entertainment, movies, shopping, massage, etc. Housing can be a little expensive, but the nearby condos all have pools, gyms, security.
The school is IB DP, the kids are great, the workload is very manageable - admin are pretty good and nobody is on your back if you do your job. The office staff is top notch and helpful. Though it is a proprietary school, it is much better than most.
Only downside is that the staff is kind of clique -y (is that a word?) This was true when I was there and my friends who are there now concur. But still, not a problem, just an annoyance.
Travel opportunities are fantastic and if you want to do Asia, this is a great place to start - KL is called "Asia Light".

So, there it is. While most people might not consider it a "Tier 1" school, for this discussion it is the archetype of a Top school: salary/benefits, health and life, entertainment, workload, students, admin.

So no more bickering. Let's help our colleagues find their special school.
fine dude

Re: Top Schools

Post by fine dude »

My top 3 picks on any given Monday:
UWCSEA, Singapore
NIST, Thailand
ISKL, Malaysia
senator

Post by senator »

Ok, but what I am really looking for here are the good schools that are flying under the radar. Your 3 are pretty well recognized as top schools, although the workloads at all 3 are heavy.
Thanks for the info.
darwin

Post by darwin »

Having spent the past 12 years in Central and Eastern Europe, I would consider the International School of Prague as a top tier, 'under the radar' school. I have not taught there but traveled for various events. Staff seems to have taught at all the top schools around the world (and very happy in Prague), a forward thinking school, a beautiful city, cheap living, easy travel, decent to solid pay.

My two cents.
MizMorton

Post by MizMorton »

darwin wrote:
> Having spent the past 12 years in Central and Eastern Europe, I would
> consider the International School of Prague as a top tier, 'under the
> radar' school. I have not taught there but traveled for various events.
> Staff seems to have taught at all the top schools around the world (and
> very happy in Prague), a forward thinking school, a beautiful city, cheap
> living, easy travel, decent to solid pay.
>
> My two cents.

I'd give a limb to teach there. I imagine I'd never leave. They're not even going to any fairs though, and no jobs are listed... clearly it's a good place to stay!