Search email vs website email

Cangguru

Search email vs website email

Post by Cangguru »

Hey guys, first of all, good luck to all of us who do not yet have a position this year.

I have some questions. I am using Search Associates and TIE, mostly for the databases, but will also attend a couple of fairs. I have many years of teaching experience internationally but not at certified international schools. I am graduating with a BEd now and applying for next year, which is obviously a bit challenging, so I'm trying everything.

I am debating the merits of contacting schools through Search or their own websites. In some cases I've done one or the other, in some cases both. Obviously the confidential references in Search offer an advantage and the Search database is awesome, but also some schools listed on Search are asking applicants not to email through Search. Some are unclear. I'd like opinions on this beyond what I've found by searching this forum, but have more focused questions too.

Does the Search payment structure offer any reasons for employers to avoid responding to Search emails (commission-related)? How do schools access your Search profile if you contact them from outside Search? Is it easy or complicated? What are the specific downsides to either approach? Obviously if schools have a proprietary system or use something like Schrole, the application process should be through that, but what about otherwise?

In general, I've been finding schools through Search and contacting them through the emails provided after researching them. I started by emailing through Search, but then noticed that some schools don't like it.

So far, I have no interviews and many short-lists. However, most of the emails where I have been short-listed are responses to emails sent within Search.

Any constructive help is appreciated, friends. I sure could use it!
Cangguru

Re: Search email vs website email

Post by Cangguru »

Any ideas at all?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Hi. Some good questions. I don't have any inside information or insights, just some random thoughts, feelings and perceptions based on many applications (with and without Search), interviews and a few job fairs.

Obviously schools pay a fee if they hire a candidate through Search. Now, how exactly that is defined or tracked, I'm not sure. If a candidate gets a job, with or without Search assistance, they are supposed to report it to Search. If the school is a Search registered school, I suppose Search could follow up and see if a connection was facilitated through their database, if not through their email system (did the school look at the candidate's file, did the candidate look up the school's Search page, etc).

If the candidate does not notify Search, and the school does not notify Search, I'm not sure whether they would still have to pay a fee. I guess the question is do most schools that register with Search regard the fee as just the cost of doing business or do they resent it/try to avoid it. My feeling is that most schools (especially the ones that you would actually want to work for) just accept it as a cost for recruiting better candidates.

I suppose if you are still feeling that going through Search may be holding you back in some way (but still want schools to be able to access your references etc) you could email them out of Search's system but mention that you are a Search candidate.

Btw, what do you mean by many short lists but no interviews? My understanding was that being short-listed means that you are one of the people that gets interviewed for the position.
Cangguru

Post by Cangguru »

Thanks for your ideas wrldtrvlr123. I suppose in that case it is best to apply through Search, unless the school asks otherwise. I have no desire to be screwy or bypass people, but have just been wondering if some schools may ignore Search emails, for this or other reasons. Its a good point that those that sign up with Search and then try to duck out on fees would likely be bad to work for. I have been applying through my email address but mentioning my Search profile, and have done many through Search too. I guess this whole process will act as a sort of test of what works, and maybe I can share how things went for me with others in the future.

I mean by short-listed that schools have told me that they will be contacting me about interviews in the coming days but haven't scheduled or given me one. It's a good way to feel like I haven't been turned down yet, but really it means nothing.
Amnesiac

Post by Amnesiac »

Difficult to say if you gain an advantage with one over the other, but I definitely prefer to use the Search database. That's what I've always used, main reason being I want prospective employers to have easy access to all my information, especially my references, and messaging through Search ensures instant and easy access. My message to the school is more or less my cover letter and then they can easily check all my pertinent info without having to go to the Search page and look for my name. I just assume easier for them is better for me.

Best of luck.
Cangguru

Post by Cangguru »

Thanks for all of the info. I'm focusing more on Search now and will try to post up any interesting results. Best of luck to everyone!
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

The Search database is fantastic but I don't think I ever got a reply emailing via Search. Direct email was far more effective.