ESF Hong Kong

superunknown

ESF Hong Kong

Post by superunknown »

Hi all,

I'm interested if anyone has had any experience with ESF Hong Kong. Quite a few schools within the foundation.

*Info on the foundation
*Cost of living in Hong Kong
*Savings potential
*Life in Hong Kong for expats
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Never liked them too much of a corporate mentality and it shows. That said its a big bureaucracy and its easy to fly under the radar.

Cost of living is high, very high, its not SG or JP, but its up there, especially when you consider how inexpensive it is to live on the mainland. It depends where you live and your lifestyle, the new territories is a lot less expensive than Kowloon. Most HongKongese work multiple jobs, and they spend all their money since there isnt anything to save for. They could not realistically afford to buy a home or auto. So wardrobe, electronics and going out are their main expenditures.

What do you like to do, most expats shop, socialize and drink. HK is all business meaning everyone does the corporate thing until the boss leaves often arriving early in the morning and then they hit happy hour, and go home until the weekend (when they will work part of a day on Saturday or Sunday). British influence is still very visible and, and there is no shortage of pubs and hangout places, sports, etc. It just all costs money, there is very little to do for free but go to the bay in HK.
zanyplum

Re: ESF Hong Kong

Post by zanyplum »

I live here and I love it. There are many, many things to do here, especially hiking which doesn't cost a thing. Some may say that the pollution may prevent you from doing this often, but that has not been my experience thus far. The food scene is incredible and though many of the trendier places are pricey, there are lots of inexpensive places to eat. I can't speak about ESF, but as for the city, I think it is an exciting place to be.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Hiking is walking, ordinary things and activities arent worth anything.
superunknown

Post by superunknown »

zanyplum wrote:
> I live here and I love it. There are many, many things to do here,
> especially hiking which doesn't cost a thing. Some may say that the
> pollution may prevent you from doing this often, but that has not been my
> experience thus far. The food scene is incredible and though many of the
> trendier places are pricey, there are lots of inexpensive places to eat. I
> can't speak about ESF, but as for the city, I think it is an exciting place
> to be.

Thanks for your comment. Would you mind elaborating on expat life in hk a little. I am very interested in living there and just need a little convincing.
zanyplum

Post by zanyplum »

superunknown wrote:
>
> Thanks for your comment. Would you mind elaborating on expat life in hk a little. I
> am very interested in living there and just need a little convincing.

Sure! There are many things to do here and it is a very diverse city. There is a large Western influence as well as many others nationalities from Asia (ex: India, Indonesia,etc.) I have found it very easy to meet people outside of work which is always refreshing. There are plenty of Meet Up groups and events through InterNations if you like planned activities to meet people. Expats in general are doing a variety of things. If you like to go out to bars and clubs, that is easily found. If you enjoy dinners (at most price points) there are new restaurants opening all of the time. If you are looking for some culture, the HK Arts Festival is beginning soon with concerts, plays, ballet, etc. If you are looking for outdoor activities there are many trails with gorgeous views on both HK Island and beyond which are enjoyed by expats and locals. There are many outdoor sports/events available, especially water sports. (the HK Marathon is this weekend) Beaches are plentiful here and on the outlying islands. I guess the bottom line is that I have lived in a few countries now, and as an Expat this has been my easiest transition, and the easiest time making friends with other expats, and locals as well. I could go on and on. It's a good life here!

Feel free to send me a message if you want any more information.
misskiwi

Post by misskiwi »

Hong Kong is an incredible city to live in. Dynamic, energetic, exciting. People are kind, tolerant and speak good English (overall). Loads to do - restaurants, bars, concerts etc etc as well as green spaces and water, hikes and places to camp, beaches... all within 20-30 minutes drive from the inner city. Public transport is cheap and super efficient,including taxis. The expat community is big and welcoming. I'm on my fourth year and just love it!

Yes, the cost of living here is high - particularly rents (to get an idea, visit the website squarefoot hk - !!) I'd say housing is the only real bummer about living in hong kong...given how expensive it is and how small the flats are. But everything is else is great!

ESF are very well respected and their schools here have very good reputations. They pay very well and seem to look after their staff.

Hope that helps :)
hallier

Post by hallier »

Would be terrific if an ESF teacher could give some specifics re. the packages.

Starting salary? Max Salary?
Housing Allowance for singles/couples?
Annual airfare?
Is health insurance comprehensive?
etc.

This info is so useful for teachers making their initial plans - I find even the Search site can be terribly vague.
Hettie

Post by Hettie »

Contracts are 2 years.
Salaries range from 400000 hkd - 700000 hkd / year for teacher. Leadership scale is additional and separate.
20% taxable gratuity at end of each contract
Housing is approx 8000 a month and won't cover rental costs
Flights are only provided at the start of contract
Medical is ok - used to be excellent with bupa now it's ok with good coverage but co-payment
Tax levels out at approx 15%

I worked for ESF for 6 years and left a couple ago. Professionally it was a great experience and I loved HK.
hallier

Post by hallier »

Hettie wrote:
> Contracts are 2 years.
> Salaries range from 400000 hkd - 700000 hkd / year for teacher. Leadership
> scale is additional and separate.
> 20% taxable gratuity at end of each contract
> Housing is approx 8000 a month and won't cover rental costs
> Flights are only provided at the start of contract
> Medical is ok - used to be excellent with bupa now it's ok with good
> coverage but co-payment
> Tax levels out at approx 15%
>
> I worked for ESF for 6 years and left a couple ago. Professionally it was a
> great experience and I loved HK.

Hettie, you're a star:) Thx for this specific information. I did meet a teacher who was working as a G2 teacher at an ESF school who told me the class size was over 30. Did u find that class sizes were that large?
ExpatinAsia99

Post by ExpatinAsia99 »

I interviewed with them a couple of months ago, they asked me in the interview if I was aware that there would be 30 students in the class and how I would feel about that. Even in the 5-6 year old class which they call Year 1, Kindergarten in other schools, they said would have 30 students.
hallier

Post by hallier »

ExpatinAsia99 wrote:
> I interviewed with them a couple of months ago, they asked me in the
> interview if I was aware that there would be 30 students in the class and
> how I would feel about that. Even in the 5-6 year old class which they call
> Year 1, Kindergarten in other schools, they said would have 30 students.

30 5-6 yr olds in the one room. Wow!

I have a colleague who secured a job at one of these schools to teach 3rd grade. I said, "did you ask them about the class sizes?"

He said, "umm, no ... oh, I am sure they are similar to our school."

Yikes, I thought. I don't think he'll be teaching 21 3rd graders next year.

Is it a generalization to say that schools set up on the British model (primarily staffed, administered by folks from the UK) have higher class sizes (and make men wear ties!!)? Maybe I am wrong about the class sizes - more confident about the ties;)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@hallier

British (NC) ISs have great variability in class sizes, they tend to be as large and small as other ISs. The issue depends on how you define a "British" IS. There are Ofsted inspected and accredited British ISs and then there are ISs that are structured and have an environment with the appearance of a British school, and then you have ISs that that model a British NC program/curriculum or employ UK teachers who deliver instruction based on their UK training and experience.

The more formal a British IS is the more likely you find the professional staff policies require a tie and more formal dress.
ExpatinAsia99

Post by ExpatinAsia99 »

The two principals from two different ESF schools that jointly interviewed me were Australian, but I'm not sure how mixed the group is overall. If they are CIS accredited I think perhaps CIS publish that information on their website, though I'm not sure about that.

I didn't ask about specifics like dress code etc, sorry can't help you out with that one. They were very clear about class sizes in the interview though, but perhaps it's just those two principals since your colleague wasn't asked about it during the interview. I'm pretty sure I also found something about class sizes mentioned on the ESF website somewhere too.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

CIS is not accreditation.