How did you get your International School career started?

lunarium

How did you get your International School career started?

Post by lunarium »

Hi everyone,

I'm curious to know how some of you started your International School careers?

I have almost 9 years experience in the classroom (i.e teacher assistant, student teacher, ESL teacher in Korea) but since I have no International School experience or homeroom teacher experience, I'm not at all desirable to these schools :/
I'm thinking of asking some of the International Schools around me if I can be a Volunteer TA, that way at least I have some sort of experience in an International School setting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by lunarium on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

They likely would not let you volunteer and even if they did at most they would let you do is work a teaching assistant, they wont give you a classroom or be in a position as teacher of record. As such none of that is going to count its just going to be seen as ESOl experience with a hobby.

Well I started because I was running away from a whole bunch of student loans (among other things), and having been a JET and did very well at it I started out in the ME in the Kingdom, had a HORRIBLE experience and then pulled a runner to Thailand just as the November term was starting, was in the right place (meaning I was there) I was hired by an IS, then made my way back to Japan (Kyoto), then got to work in a lot of different schools and regions, first in Asia (Singapore, HK, China, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, Taiwan, Malaysia) then WEurope (Italy, Denmark, UK, and several others) then went into DoDDS.

I have a bachelors, 3 masters, and a doctorate. I am certified in 5 states (plus DoDDS) have 32 independent educator certifications (29 teacher, plus librarian, diagnostician, and administrator) a PGCE w/QTS (I got my QTS before I got my PGCE) in the UK, am licensed/registered in Canada, my ??????? (special teacher license) in Japan and have an IBO Advance Certificate in Teaching and Learning Research.
lunarium

Re: How did you get your International School career started

Post by lunarium »

Wow! That's quite impressive! Thanks for sharing! :)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Lunarium - to begin, are you a certified teacher?

If not, then you can teach at lower tiers who will take a flier on you - but you won't be viable for any of the upper level IS unless you are there with a spouse as a local hire (and even then there are no guarantees).

Once we know the answer to the question, we can give you more/better advice about how to get into true international teaching.
lunarium

Post by lunarium »

Hi Shadowjack! Yes, I am a certified teacher.

I graduated 2010 with a Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential and came to Korea right after to teach ESL.

Currently I'm enrolled in an online program through UCLA to get my Clear Credential by March 2015.
marieh

Post by marieh »

Worked in ESL for years before deciding that, while I enjoy teaching, I dislike forcing a language upon uninterested students. So, I got a job as a math teacher at a crappy for-profit school in SEA and used that position (and a mentor) to get my state teaching license from an online program. That was a year ago. I am now 4 months into my job as a physics/math teacher at a wonderful school near the Middle East and am quite happy with how everything has turned out. I have a B.S. in my subject and the teaching license - that's it as far as credentials go, although I am starting a M.S. degree soon.
Snowbeavers

Re: Response

Post by Snowbeavers »

PsyGuy wrote:
> They likely would not let you volunteer and even if they did at most they
> would let you do is work a teaching assistant, they wont give you a
> classroom or be in a position as teacher of record. As such none of that is
> going to count its just going to be seen as ESOl experience with a hobby.
>
> Well I started because I was running away from a whole bunch of student
> loans (among other things), and having been a JET and did very well at it I
> started out in the ME in the Kingdom, had a HORRIBLE experience and then
> pulled a runner to Thailand just as the November term was starting, was in
> the right place (meaning I was there) I was hired by an IS, then made my
> way back to Japan (Kyoto), then got to work in a lot of different schools
> and regions, first in Asia (Singapore, HK, China, Thailand, Vietnam,
> Myanmar, Taiwan, Malaysia) then WEurope (Italy, Denmark, UK, and several
> others) then went into DoDDS.
>
> I have a bachelors, 3 masters, and a doctorate. I am certified in 5 states
> (plus DoDDS) have 32 independent educator certifications (29 teacher, plus
> librarian, diagnostician, and administrator) a PGCE w/QTS (I got my QTS
> before I got my PGCE) in the UK, am licensed/registered in Canada, my
> ??????? (special teacher license) in Japan and have an IBO Advance
> Certificate in Teaching and Learning Research.

So by my calculations you have been working for a minimum of 24 years overseas (with 2 years at each school which isn't a good sign) or you have been fired/breaking a lot of contracts along the way...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Snowbeavers

You made a lot of assumptions with your math.
HereThereEverywhere

Post by HereThereEverywhere »

The JET program is 28 years old, so max that is when you went overseas. You must have spent at least a year there. You then list 11 (or 12 if you count, “The Kingdom”) countries that have taught in. I would think that Snowbeaver’s calculations aren’t that far off, 2-3 years each place on average. Though I won't hazard a guess as to why like Snowbeaver did.
Plus, dang, 32 certificates? 3 masters and a doctorate? Plus certification in 5 states? Plus Canada, Japan, PGCE, IBO? I have to ask, what do you need all those certs/education for?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@HereThereEverywhere

Yes the JET program is 28 years old. Still a lot of assumptions with the math.

Its not very hard transferring or extending certification from one state to another, many states are pretty lax about it. I extended into one state so I could forget about PD requirements for renewal. Extended into one state so that I could add one teacher certification. Extended into another so that I could add librarian, and extended into the third so that I could add diag and admin certification. Canadian certification was through reciprocity, the same with QTS. My PGCE and IBO award I completed as part of my doctorate. My Japanese license was just paperwork on behalf of my prefecture BOE.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

deleted
Last edited by sciteach on Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@sciteach

I love MYP and it historically gets dumped on. I did my IB Teacher Award in MYP and I was the only one in my program to do so.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

I can definitely say that I've drunk the MYP cool-aide. But I will say that it's as good as you make the program which is it's biggest strength and weakness. If it's done badly (which is common) that it's an absolute train wreck. If it's done well than it's amazing....
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I have a bachelor of arts, a teaching license, and taught in the States for ten years before going to the UNI fair.

Great fair, especially for those new to int. teaching.
tommypizza

Post by tommypizza »

Go to the UNI fair. Accept a contract. International School career started! UNI fair is the best for 1st timers. Since you are a certified teacher, it's probably the easiest way to start your quest. After your 1st contract, you can switch to Search or do a more independent search. During your 1st contract, you will gain much insight on the whole int scene and can decide on what your next steps are. Good Luck!