Amsterdam Schools

runningsloth

Amsterdam Schools

Post by runningsloth »

Can anyone tell me about benefits and drawbacks of working at the International School of Amsterdam and American School of the Hague? Which has a better overall package? Thanks
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Amsterdam Schools

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

From my understanding pay is very similar. Savings potential is a little better with Amsterdam because they supposedly do provide a modest housing allowance for the first two years. Neither place is somewhere to go for the money but either would likely provide a nice little lifestyle in a place many people would consider desirable.
tommypizza

Post by tommypizza »

American School of The Hague has the better package and is a bigger school. I find it hard to believe that Amsterdam gives any housing allowance but can't confirm. ASH is sort of like working in an American Public School. Teachers stay a long, long time working there and probably the same for Amsterdam. Both of them will give you a good lifestyle in Europe. Difficult to save but you will live well. ASH is not physically close to Amsterdam. Some ASH teachers live in Amsterdam but they either drive an hour or take the train and bike for an hour and 15.
Glerky

Post by Glerky »

TP is right. ASH has the better package. A certain percentage of your salary there is tax free for the first 10 years. Many people buy a house as mortgages can be as expensive as renting. ISA is a nice campus. Package is okay but if there is a housing allowance it is a new thing as they didn't 7-8 years ago.