Tokyo living?

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@WT123

Nor does mine need to accept or expand to include your definition of living in Tokyo.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Discussion

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @WT123
>
> If you dont live along the Yamanote you dont live in the CBD and you dont
> really live in Tokyo.
>
> The Chou is so provincial. West Tokyo is Ikebukuro.
-----------------------------
It's Chuo and if you think it's provincial (what does that even mean in this context) then you are hopelessly out of touch.

Come to think of it, you probably haven't even lived "in Tokyo" or anywhere near it since your JET days. LOL. You might want to expand your horizons if you are going to continue to offer first hand, expert advice on living "in Tokyo".
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@WT123

Your hopelessly out of touch with city life if you believe suburbia is the real Tokyo.
cstone

Re: Tokyo living?

Post by cstone »

I think we have forgotten the poster's original questions and request for information.

The Central Business District of Tokyo is a seething anthill of salarymen and office ladies and all sorts of other cubicle clones, plus some high powered executives and flashy bankers and lawyers, and a multitude of foreigners engaged in high paying activities, PLUS all the other folk who work there to make things possible. Think Manhattan.

No teacher I knew, except those who were married to one of those high powered guys, lived anywhere near there. They lived in very nice residential areas a bit out of the way so they and their families could have a semblance of real life. There are no schools in that area.

Great restaurants and clubs, bars and all sorts of high end shopping, yes.

However, one does not need to live there to take advantage of all those things. A trip into the city from one of the so called "provincial " neighborhoods usually will suffice just fine.

A 35 minute ride on the CHUO would take me right to Tokyo Station, one of my favorite locations since its recent remodel. 3 full 35+ floor syscrapers with shopping and great bookstores and eating and drinking and jazz and numerous world class restaurants to choose from. Plus, it can all be done without exiting into weather if that should be snowy, rainy, windy or just "OMG I am going to die hot !"

After a long day of working with children, conferencing with parents, doing planning and paperwork, plus staff meetings, etc, I think the quiet, close, convenient and affordable "provincial" atmosphere of a neighborhood/ward outside of the CBD, but still with a Tokyo mailing address is an extremely viable option.

With the $1000 a month you can save on an apartment, there is a lot of fun and enjoyment to be had. Being able to easily bike or walk to work or have an option of 1-3 train stops to get there is invaluable.

You don't have to live in downtown Tokyo to enjoy all it has to offer.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@cstone

Id agree the CBD is very much like Manhattan, this is why if your a real Tokyoite you live about within 10-15 minutes of the CBD. A half an hour is how long it takes to get from one end of the Yamanote to the other end, and an hour is Yokohama, and its just that "a trip into the city" its not ''THE city''.