International School Interviews

megb0238

International School Interviews

Post by megb0238 »

Can anyone tell me what to expect during an interview in person or on Skype? I am assuming there will be a part where I answer lots of questions about my philosophy of teaching, past experiences, etc. And I will have a list of questions ready to ask about the school's philosophy and inner workings. But how does 'the package' come up? And should I ask questions about the package or is this interpreted as rude? In normal interviews, you never ask about benefits until you are offered the job. So how do people address this? Thanks!
Route66

Re: International School Interviews

Post by Route66 »

I wouldn't directly ask about money until after the job or contract has been offered to you but I think its fair to seek clarification on what 'competitive' means in terms of the package offered.

I guess it depends how much information is already out there about the salary/package of the establishment you are applying for. a lot of international schools are very vague on their job advertisements so I think its a fair question to ask as long as your not directly talking about salary.

I would asks something along the lines of I saw on the advertisement it said the package was 'competitive'. Would it be possible to get clarification on what exactly it may include.

Some schools do provide a payment scale depending on your years of experience and if you have a masters or not.
megb0238

Post by megb0238 »

So glad I asked! So during the interview focus only on teaching/education and later I will have a chance to ask about salary, housing, and living in the host country?
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

Asking questions about living in the country I'd say is a reasonably important question if you are new to international teaching. It shows that your thinking about living overseas and what that might entail. If the school brings up accommodation, then you can ask some general questions but don't get into too much detail.

Just like normal interviews, it really depends on the interviewer what you speak about. I've had interviews which were quite generic and we did not really speak about content - but I've also had schools drill me on certain aspects. Only on one occasion have I had an admin lay a trap (ironically at a person to person interview) but it really put me off against that school....
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

I'd say package questions should come up after a contract has been offered, or if the interviewer brings up the package themselves and asks if you have questions. You're thinking about it being rude to ask is probably a good gut feeling to go with.

Often times an interviewer will ask if you have other questions, and you could then say something like, "What do you find most enjoyable about living in country/city xxx?" I'm not sure I'd go into housing or salary, though...stick with the host country and culture until offered a contract.

I'd also recommend subscribing to ISS or Search so you can look at their database and get an idea of the salaries offered at that school, so you'll know the ballpark. We didn't apply to schools with salaries listed below a certain amount, as our financial needs ruled them out.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

In person interviews and virtual interviews are very different.

1) Most interviews will start with a question summarizing your resume, and will build from there with a few expanding question.
2) Youll get a question about your teaching strategy which is the time to indicate that you are familiar with their curriculum (research their curriculum).
3) How do you work with parents and others (teachers).
4) About this time youll get a question referring to how well you adapt to new situations and changes.
5) Lastly, a question about your outside activities and hobbies. At this time youll get a question about your spouse and children.
6) If there is any time left youll have an opportunity to ask a few question probably only two. They should be specific to the school and the job.

If its a virtual interview the interview is not the time to ask about the salary, or other aspect of the contract. At a fair its very different, you have to walk into the interview ready to negotiate a contract because offers are made on the spot.

Many of the school profiles on agency sites inflate their compensation package or its greatly out of date. At best it represents a range (look at all the schools in the region) of what you can expect.