Two Offers: What would you do?

justlooking

Two Offers: What would you do?

Post by justlooking »

My husband and I have been bickering all day. Please weigh in on what you would do so we can consider. We need to have an answer to school 1 by Friday.

School one- mid-size, Tier 2, all IB with a solid reputation. Very hard place to live (pollution, air quality, poverty, etc) but we'd live in a nice area and have a car with a driver to keep us out of the mess. Very low cost of living, so potential to save 30k or more. Decent jobs for both of us but nothing to get excited about.

School two- mid-size, strong Tier 2, American curriculum with IB diploma. Position of leadership for me (a dream job really) and a very part time position of leadership for my husband- we're basically considering it as just one salary. Nice place to live, clean air, good food, friendly people, decent package, high cost of living. We would be able to save moderately if my husband eventually gets a FT position.

We have one child. If given the choice, she would probably say school 2, but we have to make the decision that's best for the whole family. I'm leaning towards school 2 and my husband is fighting for school 1. What do you think?
shadowjack

Re: Two Offers: What would you do?

Post by shadowjack »

If you can both get admin experience, go for it. Do the two years, or possibly three (or if you husband gets on more ft and likes it, stay a long time).

When you leave, you get to go to admin fairs, and then more things open up if admin is what you really want to do. Having been around awhile, opportunities are often a one-shot deal and then they are gone. Sometimes for good - other times you might get a second chance elsewhere.

Just my two cents. You guys sound young - take a risk while you can!

shad
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Consider the effect of the environment on your child. These years are irreplaceable, health is everyone's most important asset.

In the same postilion, I would definitely choose the second ... 2 years, a time in which your husband may usefully find other, alternative work, or spend quality time as the house parent, or engage in some part time study. Money isn't everything, and all these activities are useful because they make your family more diverse. Working for the same employer could be a risk if things don't work out.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Have you lived (or traveled much) in places like school one is located? Even with a driver it could get old fast and become a place to serve a 2 year sentence rather than enjoy your overseas lives together.

If you are good with that aspect then it is a tough call. Whatever you decide, really try and have both parties ultimately in full agreement. Life overseas can be tough even without regrets and resentment.
MizMorton

Post by MizMorton »

I'd go with #2. That's just me though.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

If your child is in elementary, I'd strongly encourage the school that is PYP. However, on the flip side, I wouldn't encourage moving to a city known for bad pollution, like Dhaka or most places in China.

In regards to school 2, getting admin experience would be great, and your husband might find that working part-time would be great for settling in to a new place, spending time with your child, exploring the city, etc. I wasn't clear if leadership meant admin. If it does, I'd probably head down that route.

Post by 87654321 »

Standard of Living vs Quality of Life
Having done both I would take number 2.
Long term effects of pollution would seal the deal.
Good luck whichever you choose :-)
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Fur us, the education of the kids trumps everything. One of us gave up an admin position to change direction and support our kids at a crucial time in our lives and have never regretted it. For us, a few years here and there might not be significant, but I agree with the other poster that this is a massive proportion of a childhood.
Having said all that, you sound like a pretty tight family who discuss things together, so you should have faith and commitment in each other to make a success of your next post, whatever you decide. Good luck! XX
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

Thanks everybody. I appreciate your feedback and have been sharing your responses with my family. The plot has thickened a bit. We had a very good interview with a school 3 today. I really think we killed it, but who knows. Hoping for a next step with school 3 before school 1 needs an answer. It would be a compromise place. No supervisory position but good money in a nice place to live. All IB. I'll keep the group posted.

What a strange year. Last time around we didn't have any real interest until Boston and even then it was slim pickings.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

I would also consider the school that best prepares you for your next positions. Neither place sounds like it will be the place you want to settle for long, so becoming stronger professionally should be a priority.

The admin position at school number 2 will require you to stay longer to have the experience count. 2 years of experience just won't count for much in admin.

Also consider a compromise: you get number 2 this time, but your husband gets first choice next time.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I never really account the complaints of pollution very much some people are sensitive too it and have other medical issues but its not a perfect world, and if need be you just use air purifiers and face masks, personally having lived in Beijing I didnt have a problem. Curriculum wise IB is generally very desirable especially at PYP, you cant learn PYP except by doing it, but if your not really interested in IB, than there is no reason to join the cult.

THE GOOD:

Position 2 appears best by your own description their basically IB schools (IB tends to leak down to lower grades, and while the primary program wont be PYP, its going to be very inquiry and guided discovery based. The primary program will basically be a more organic national curriculum). By your own description its a strong tier 2 as opposed to meh tier 2. Admin experience is very difficult to get if you arent already an admin, add that to admin at an IB school and thats a strong addition to your resume.

THE BAD:

Who are you fooling your asking a virtual room of strangers to vote for school 2 so that you have more ammunition against your spouse. You havent even asked your child but your reping as if their choice is a foregone conclusion. Really this is you being selfish, YOU want the admin position, while your husband who I cant blame him is basically getting the short stick and being pulled along as a trailing spouse. A part time admin position is basically no position, and nothing more than some para-professional duties and tasking.
What you really should be looking at is option 3 and thats a third school down the road that you can both compromise on (not just hubby) and still delivers professional growth while providing a comfortable lifestyle and quality of life that all of your can be content (including child).

THE UGLY:

Take both positions and contracts while looking for a school thats closer to your dream school for everyone then decide as you get much closer to departure.
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

An Update: We accepted offers at school 3 and we're thrilled. Decent (although not dream job or admin experience) positions for both of us, very international student body, clean air, good overall package, and nice climate (for the half of a year when it's not hot as you know where). Plus we have strong ties to the area with both friends and family. So excited.

And...maybe a bit of advice. I originally contacted this school in late November. I know they usually hire through job fairs, so I wrote back a couple of weeks ago to reintroduce us and ask if they'd like speak before the job fair because we weren't sure if we were going based on the two other offers. Then they asked to Skype. Because we had that other offer with a tight deadline, things moved fast.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Congratulations on your wonderful news!
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

That's wonderful news! Congratulations!