American International School Egypt: Main campus

Basmad6

American International School Egypt: Main campus

Post by Basmad6 »

I've been offered a spot at AISE for the next school year, but would love feedback from people currently living and working in Egypt; specifically Cairo.
Interested in climate at the school and safety for single females.
PsyGuy

Query

Post by PsyGuy »

Why did you want to go to Egypt? You can see and do everything touristy in about a week. The culture and people are pretty boring and as a woman, your not going to enjoy the totality of western freedoms and liberties. Normally I have a lot more to say about the ME, but wanted to know where your coming from first.
Basmad6

Re: American International School Egypt: Main campus

Post by Basmad6 »

I think anyone traveling outside of the U.S. needs to be prepared for not enjoying their comforts of home. Thats not a concern as I'm well aware I will face challenges no matter where I relocate.
My question is about the school climate and living in the area as a single female. It has recently and quickly expanded to two campuses, and one campus serves more nationals than the other. US news portrays anywhere in the ME as red flag dangerous. Since our news tends to be more tabloid based and not always accurate, I'd like feedback from people living and working there if possible. Seeking insight from a few sources including this site.
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

AIS is not the worst but it is not a good school. Most schools in Egypt are terrible. Cairo American College and British
International School, Cairo are streets ahead and are good schools. New Cairo British International School is ok. Any of the others are pretty lousy at best - having American, British, English or International as part of their name means nothing. You would be better off taking a job at a 3rd rate international school in South East Asia or a 2nd rate in South America.

Safe for females? You will get comments and you might occasionally be groped in public. If you can deal with this then it would be okay (just make sure you really are in public when you are in public) and you are unlikely to encounter any physical attention but it can happen. Most Egyptians are just like everyone else - respectful and tolerant, but unfortunately there is a culture of let it happen with regards to women and it's not seen as something worth punishing.
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

Thank you Dover2013 for some constructive feedback! I appreciate it
eriniggy

Post by eriniggy »

First of all, congrats on the job offer. I taught in Cairo a couple years ago and I think Dover pretty much hits the nail on the head. It's not a great school, but it could be worse. Egyptian children are notorious for bad behavior, even at good schools like CAC. Set expectations early and often and you will find that Egyprian children are truly wonderful.

I, too, am a single female and life in Egypt was not easy. Egypt will challenge you - high pollution, unstable currency, government corruption, and more. Be prepared for harassment nearly everywhere you go. Mostly just catcalling and an occasional grope in a crowd. Mentally prepare for this to happen, Learn a few choice phrases and you'll be fine. I never felt overly safe in Cairo, but I also never felt very unsafe.

There are many amazing things to see throughout the country. Upper Egypt, Sinai, Siwa, Alex. Cairo has plenty to do. Be proactive about meeting people early on. Maadi has a great magazine that lists expat meet ups and social events. Do them! You'll meet not only expats, but great locals too. I also recommend the Arabic school near haddayek el maadi - you can meet some wonderful Egyptian teachers and befriend students from around the world.

It's not going to be easy, but it will be an adventure. So if that's what you're looking for - take it. If you want all the comforts of home, well organized schools, and an easy teaching experience, it might not be for you.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions.