Tis the season: Fair diaries!

Trojan

Tis the season: Fair diaries!

Post by Trojan »

I know all the big fairs go on in the next few months and I just wanted to--selfishly--throw out there that I hope some of you post fair diaries like others have the past few years.

They have made for wonderful reading and I'm sure are helpful to others recruiting too.

Please and thank you!
HoraceMann

Re: Tis the season: Fair diaries!

Post by HoraceMann »

Yes, I just asked for the same (for Bangkok just a few minutes ago).

HM
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

It's not exactly a diary - but I attended the Melbourne Job Fair this year (Search) instead of Bangkok which can be a bit brutal.

As I teach MS MYP Science/Math, I was a bit spoilt for choice but cast a very wide net over potential jobs. Apart from schools which I did not want to touch with a 10 foot pole, I ended up interviewing with a total of 12 different schools which was quite challenging. Completing a lot of research about potential jobs really helped as you don't really have any time at the fair to research 5+ schools in around 24-48 hours.

When I went to Bangkok, one of the main problems was the long waits for the elevator. Thankfully in Melbourne, this was not such a problem but I do suggest that you don't have more than 2 interviews back to back. Some people may also disagree with me - but I find staying at the hotel when you have interviews invaluable as you have a little oasis to get away from all of the interviews itself.

At last years Bangkok fair - I will say that I did find that there was not much collegiality compared to the Melbourne Fair. In general, everyone was very relaxed and very supporting compared to Bangkok. Don't take it the wrong way - but I think choosing the correct fair is very important. In the future, I'll choose the Melbourne Fair for myself as it has a good range of strong schools along with the odd Tier 1 school. I also have international experience which means that I stand out. Many of the schools are actually looking to hire but some schools like UNIS did not employ anyone as they were waiting for the Bangkok fair which is reasonable.

Overall - I was offered two positions (both in China at good IB schools) and had interest from some other schools in Europe and Asia. It was tempting to wait to see if UNIS would employ me after a reasonable interview in Melbourne - but I'll be fair and say I doubt it as there are normally quite a few teaching couples in Bangkok.

So if I was to give some pointers for any fair newbies, it would be

(1) Come prepared with a double sided resume and write a short note introducing yourself and which position you are interested in. Then - drop these in the folders as soon as you get to the hotel. This allows the schools to see you ASAP so that you may get a Fast Pass!

(2) Do you research early. Have a hit list of schools you want to work for and make sure you attend their information sessions (if they have one). The schools want to make sure you are interested in them - not just accepting as an option of last resort (a mistake I made last year!)

(3) Make sure you have a couple of questions about the school at the end of each interview. I would often have questions but they would be answered during the interview. However, I wish that I had some extra that I thought I knew the answer too just to make sure I was correct.

(4) Contact schools before the fair. They most likely won't reply - but at least the know that you are interested. This was mentioned to me by a couple of schools who noticed that I contacted them.

(5) Go to the formal . as admin wants to see what you are like with other people in a social environment. For some strange reason - I was very stiff at the BKK fair but very relaxed at the Melbourne fair. This could be the fact that it was a second fair. Also be friendly with the administrators - but don't force yourself onto them. I actually had admin come and speak to me this time which was a nice change. Also try and remember which school they are from - if possible. I looked like a NOOB when I thought I was speaking to a fellow teacher when I was speaking to the admin of International Academy - Amman (Jordan).

Best Regards,

Sciteach

I did have a few
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Bump
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

I would like to know more about the 'formal' side - a fair I am attending seems to have these every night (three in total).
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@jessiejames

Its not really a formal its a social, but you dress for it and treat it exactly like any other recruiting event. You dress in your interview clothes and they have free hors d'oeuvres as well as soft drinks. You get a couple of drink tickets for your choice of beer, wine or mixed drinks. The selection isnt anything special or top shelf. Sometimes they have a small table with cheese, meats, crackers, fruit, olives, etc. In general:

1) Dress as you would for an interview but nothing sultry, this isnt a club (unless thats your angle).
2) Take it easy on the drinks, you get tickets but there are always extras and often times they are so busy they just pour without a ticket.
3) Dont talk about anything, except the fair and teaching. You never know when someone will be offended by something and the admins and recruiters are ALWAYS watching.
4) Dont bring the kids.
5) It needs to be said again this is still business.

There are more advantages if you arent under contract then if you are. If you are under contract then its just another couple of hours you have to be on your toes and put on your professional "face". There have been candidates who embarrassed themselves at the social and had their contracts rescinded. My advise is bring the spouse, talk to your new admin, have a drink or two and something to eat, stay 30 minutes and leave.

If you havent gotten an offer the social gives you an opportunity to talk with recruiters that wouldnt give you an interview or to make another pitch on a more social note to an admin thats considering you. This is the only real reason to go. A lot of candidates use it as an opportunity to dish about the recruiters and the schools, but since they are listening too, you never want to be in the position of saying anything a recruiter might over here. You dont even want them to hear you say good things about their school, they may develop a superiority complex and feel your no longer good enough for their school. Identify the admins from their presentations or from sign up and then use about 5-10 minutes to introduce yourself, shared interests and then a few bullet points how you can solve their problems or add value to their schools. Bring several resumes and Ichiros with you. People get contracts and offers in elevators and they get offers at the social.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Happy to see the term 'ichiro' still in use.

Anyone here get hired at the BK fair?
Fraisinette

Post by Fraisinette »

Good tips! but what's an ichiro?
number11

Post by number11 »

Thanks for the fair info. Just wondering if you brought more than just your resume to interviews. Our associate said that is all you need, but did you or did others bring teaching portfolios or similar materials? Please let me know.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

It really depends on your subject. I've been to two fairs and dragged around a portfolio at my first fair but I never used it.

At my second fair - I did not take one. However, if you teach Art then I think that it's pretty close to a must take....
cdn

Post by cdn »

Fraisinette wrote:
> Good tips! but what's an ichiro?

Think of it as a visual cover letter. My wife and I made a single page, double-sided version on card stock when we were at the fairs 2 years ago. We included images of us teaching and images that represented our philosophies. We included some text about our education and the odd quote from our referees. These worked well for us. In fact, it was our ichiro that landed us an interview with with a top school in Southeast Asia. They approached us at the pub in the hotel after seeing it with another school and said they wanted to chat. They didn't have positions for both, but it was a great contact.
Last edited by cdn on Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

That is very helpful advice Psyguy - thank you for taking the time to post it, I appreciate it.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@Trojan

How can one forget Ichiro.

@number11

Yes, you need to bring Ichiros, and Id recommend a portfolio. The problem most noob ITs have with a portfolio is they think its what you use if asked, but really it should guide your interview, and YOU should want to use it in an interview, images are so much more persuasive in a sea of conversations, which is why I recommend a virtual portfolio.

@Fraisinette

An Ichiro is named after a long lost member of the forum, who was a very valuable contributor.
It is essentially an alternative resume. During signup your only going to have about 10-30 seconds to make contact with a recruiter and get an interview slot. A resume doesnt convey the highlights of you as a candidate. You want to convey the top three bullet points of what makes you special or at least worthy of consideration. Enter the Ichiro, which in its basic form is a flyer (in color) with basic contact information, some visual representations of your work, and a few bullet points of what makes you special. Ichiros are also good for slipping under doors and in school folders. A three fold brochure or business cards allow you to carry your resume everywhere without being cumbersome.

Ive seen a number of Ichiros from business card resumes with a photo, contact info and a few stared bullet points with a QR code leading to a digital portfolio, to printed CDS, coupons (Good for one amazing teacher, time limited must be redeemed at [web address] and currency bills for a "1,000,000 teacher", 3 fold "sales" brochures, a couple teachers have done commercials and one did a full 22minute "info-mercial" that included a staged interview answering 5 pretty common questions, that was distributed on flash drives (you get a couple of flash drives from schools in your invite folder). The best one I ever got was a full, professionally bound magazine on slick paper stock it was 62 pages long and had articles discussing their teaching philosophy, a center fold with their bio and resume, articles about differentiation, their approach to the whole student, special needs, learning support, a couple stories about past schools and what they learned, and what they wish theyd known. It was extremely well done.
senator

Post by senator »

Why would anyone want to work for an administrator who is so shallow and empty-headed that he is awed by foolish marketing tricks, like a monkey marveling over some bright, shiny object?

This is exactly why I got out of international education, all the BS that has nothing to do with teaching and all the moronic school admin who have no idea how to consistently hire good teachers. The international teaching profession is becoming more and more like television news: hire the "bubble headed bleached blonde" with the flashy sales pitch.

I'm proud to say I now teach in public schools. Yes, it is challenging, but the majority of admin I have worked for are at least honest and down to earth. And, since most international school salary/benefit packages continue to either drop or stay flat while cost of living in ALL COUNTRIES only rises, I make a damn good salary and also have time/money to run a 3-D printing club AND a side business.

Come on, Guys, stop playing their game and "sell" yourself with dignity, honesty, and class. Save the marketing and advertising ploys for those slimy McDonalds and Coca-Cola ad men.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@senator

Those admins run tier 1 schools in the world, that have tier 1 compensation packages is the likly primary reason. That is in addition to the most significant benefit which is living overseas.
McDs and Coke do VERY well thanks to those ad and marketing people. This is 2015 "selling" with dignity is oxymoronic, the two have become mutually exclusive. Thats long been the case of the interview though, research has demonstrated consistently that psychometrics are better predictors of success and performance, but ITs are a very indistinct group, the interview and recruiting isnt about finding the most meritorious but finding the best fit, meaning people an admin will like and can work with.

I recall this conversation at one time where the forum contributors discussed what an IT recruiting reality show would look like, would it be more "Survivor" or more "The Bachelor", or more some undercover "Too Catch a Predator" style of show. I advocated the Survivor style show.