What do you wish someone had told you?

MizMorton

What do you wish someone had told you?

Post by MizMorton »

What do you wish you had known when you first started teaching internationally?

I am just starting the process, and it's like poking holes in a dam. Each time I poke for information, I get a deluge. I've learned so much that I can't help but wonder what I don't know!

Thanks for your help!
fine dude

Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

Post by fine dude »

Don't get lost in the paperwork, countless meetings and committees, but focus on student learning.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Someone had told me, as in some piece of passing advice? Well buy Apple stock back in the 80s would have been really nice.
Im assuming you wanted something more IS related, basically that ISs are pretty indistinguishable from one another. Yes, there are some real outliers on the black and the white side but for the most part they are all some 50 shades of grey. I never met a school thats admin didnt think it was great and special (or they were great), (never met an IT who didnt think they were a rock star either). They all act like they are elite, and all of them are like any private school anywhere, more or less. The differences are really just a matter of perception and preference.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

Love your students. Enjoy spending time with them. They'll be the highlight of your job.

Be involved in things outside of your school. Exercise and eat well. Maintain balance: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Volunteer for things in your school. Find out what no one else is doing, and do it. Maybe it's a club or running a group, or helping out with new staff. Ask your administrator what areas she'd like to develop in the school and see how you can align your strengths and interest into her vision.

Realize that International Schools are a business and you're a commodity that can be replaced. Schools owe teachers nothing and admin can drop a contract for whatever reason they deem reasonable. They don't have to wait until the end of a contract, even if the contract appears to say so. I've seen more international teachers let go/non-renewed than any non-tenured public school teacher in the States, even those with families in tow. None of the people I've seen let go would have ever been let go in the States. Regardless of being good teachers, they didn't "fit" after admin changed. There can be power struggles in International Schools and good teachers can get caught in the wake of administrative changes.

Stay out of the drama in the school, but be friendly with and respected by as many people as you can. Be seen as positive and helpful, not negative or gossipy. Smile. If people ask how you are, reply with what's going well, not what's frustrating you. Make it a habit.

If you want to succeed as an international teacher, make the parents and students happy. Usually if the students are happy, the parents are, too.

Assume that your colleagues and administration are doing things for good reasons. "Ascribe positive motives to others." It'll keep you mentally and emotionally out of a danger zone of frustration and angst.

If you have a question about why something was done, go and ask in person, but only when you're in the right frame of mind. Remember to assume that the person had good motives for what was done.

Become friends with local hires and local staff. They're awesome, fun, and make living overseas way better than it would be secluding yourself in the expat part of town, which is where your school will probably be located.
JScott

Post by JScott »

I would echo everything wntriscoming wrote, excellent advice. The only thing I would add is: I wish someone told me how hard it is to connect with my old life whenever I return to my home country for holiday. If you embrace this lifestyle, it will change you. It appears that returning 'home' and being able to connect to your family and friends, your own culture, and daily life again may prove to be quite challenging, if not impossible. This is not a good or bad thing, it's just that your outlook on how your life can be changes.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Learn the local language and use it as much as you can. It is easy, in most places, not to do this, and I think that is one of the most important ways to make your experience international.

Make a point to really understand your insurance. You will likely need to use it. Ask a lot of questions.

Take the time to travel. Don't always go home for breaks.

Rely on others and let others rely on you. A powerful bond-maker.
Cali.Girl

Post by Cali.Girl »

I wish I had known how incredibly difficult the first six months would be both professionally and personally. I've taught four different grade levels in the past 16 years as a teacher in the US, but coming to an international school (with no established curriculum in any subject!) made me feel like I was a first year teacher. I also had to spend the week before school cleaning out the classroom, filling up trash can after trash can with c.r.a.p.

Personally it has been very difficult to get happy here. I wish I had known how incredibly expensive it would be to set up a new home and buy a used car. Find out where other teachers your ages live and move near them. Proximity is great for developing friendships.

On the plus side - the students really are wonderful. My class is the most well prepared class I have ever taught. Ever. They come in with knowledge! The families are supportive, the kids are kind and they love learning. There are a lot of exploration opportunities in my new country. Some are close, some are hours away, but there are enough nooks and crannies to keep us busy for the duration.

Join TieOnline. Apply to every single school that catches your eye. Don't delay. Sending out twenty or more applications is not unreasonable. Make a spreadsheet so you don't accidentally apply to the same school twice or send the application to the wrong person's attention. Read the web and hone your cover letter, resume, and interview skills. There are lists of international teacher interview questions on the web - take notes, develop answers, and study them so you are prepared. Understand what textbooks/curriculum the school(s) use so you can provide educated answers. Once hired, keep organized, copious notes and bring photo copies of all your docs.

Educate yourself as much as you can on the country - join FB groups for expats, read the local online newspaper, make lists of what you want to do during your time there. Be sure to get a Visa credit card that doesn't have foreign transaction fees. Pick up some key words and phrases for the country. It will make you feel better when you can communicate.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Cali.Girl

I would add, think of money int he local currency, you will just depress yourself if you keep converting everything to dollars/pounds.
MizMorton

Post by MizMorton »

These are really great, you guys. Keep it coming!

I found this sort of poignant for myself:
JScott wrote:
I wish someone told me how hard it is to connect with
> my old life whenever I return to my home country for holiday. If you
> embrace this lifestyle, it will change you. It appears that returning
> 'home' and being able to connect to your family and friends, your own
> culture, and daily life again may prove to be quite challenging, if not
> impossible. This is not a good or bad thing, it's just that your outlook on
> how your life can be changes.

...because my husband and I both grew up military, so the "coming home" part has been our whole adult lives. We've both spent 20 years as disconnected, third-culture outsiders, so going back out there with other expats technically will be going "home" for us, finally. ;) PS: SOMEONE PLEEEEASE HIRE US FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY. (Did I just say that out loud?)
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I want to second the emotion of one thing another poster wrote: copies.

Make lors and lots of copies of transcripts, teacher liceneses, birth certs, passports, marriage cert, etc. Have digital copies and apostille cis (if needed).

It just seems to be needed over and over.