QSI-Shenzhen

roostersauce

QSI-Shenzhen

Post by roostersauce »

Considering teaching at QSI Shenzhen, and looking for info on living and working there. We've lived in China before, but on the east coast.

What are the majority of students at QSI? Chinese? How is teaching there in general?

Also, how is life in Shenzhen? What is the quality of housing provided to a family? What would the difficulties be living there with young children? How is the air quality and medical care? How easy is it to find a full time ayi, preferably Cantonese speaking?
Micky

Re: QSI-Shenzhen

Post by Micky »

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can answer the one concerning the students. They would not be Chinese as locals are not allowed to enroll in international schools in China. They may be Taiwanese or from a lot of other countries surrounding China, but not from the mainland.

Hope this helps.
roostersauce

Post by roostersauce »

Thanks Micky. I forgot that students needed a foreign passport to enroll in an international school. Although loopholes do exist.

Anyone else with any information? I saw some info on the forum, but it was from a couple of years ago. Any recent info on quality of housing or air quality? I've been noticing AQI levels around 150. Is this normal for the city year round?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Ello,

I never liked any of the QSI schools, they have a strong (fanatical) christian philosophy that permeates their structure. They tend to come off "superior" to others. That said there are some advantages that cant be ignored.

1) They are one of only a few rare schools that have a system that allows you to move around from regions and countries to different schools in other regions and countries, without having to apply, or interview.

2) They will provide housing no matter how big your family, though you may find "resistance" in transferring to some other schools in their system.

3) Its not a hard school to get along with, compared to the pound of flesh some of the top tier schools demand, its very much a show up, teach your lessons, preach the company/school line, and be ever so a little more on the side of caring (or at least be able to fake it).

Disadvantages (just a few):

1) If your looking to climb the tier of ISs nothings going to stand out from having QSI on your resume, Italy is a nice "reward" destination but most people get stuck in one of the less glamorous schools to begin with.

2) Their is nothing stellar about the schools facilities or compensation. Youll get by, save a little, but its very much a meh posting.

3) Did I mention the religious doctrine and philosophy?

I like Shenzen, cute girls, good food, some authenticity (culturally at least) with some modernization. I wouldnt want to retire there, but I'd live there again.