International Schools in Indonesia

kuwaitikid

Re: International Schools in Indonesia

Post by kuwaitikid »

I am currently 'privileged' to be living in Jakarta, Indonesia. British International School is now called the British School of Jakarta, not the British School. Other than the political and social upheaval taking place here, linked largely to economic factors (e.g.fuel prices were recently increased by 30 percent leading to large protests), the horrendous traffic and poor infrastructure, make living here very difficult. Not surprisingly, staff turnover, even at the better schools, is very high with many staff targeting what are considered to be more desirable locations such as Singapore and Hong Kong. Obtaining work visas is also becoming a big issue, even for the well connected schools and nobody really knows how the proposed changes, referred to in earlier posts, will manifest themselves leading to a culture of uncertainty.
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

kuwaitikid wrote:
> British International School is now called the British School of Jakarta, not the
> British School.

Lol! Yes that's correct and I knew that. I stand, um, corrected.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Its the British school in Jakarta, we can play anagram with it, but what does it matter. So its called something else now, really if the regulatory powers that be culminate in a name change then thats a beast with no bite, names dont really mean anything.

No one laid down their sword, their just bidding their time until a more receptive confrontation avails itself. None of this is going away, their is a demand for IE and money will find a way to make it work, it always does.
tsalicco

Post by tsalicco »

I am seeing a posting for the Surayaba European School. Any feedback on this school? I am seeing the situation in Indonesia is not the best based on replies in this forum.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its a third tier school, mostly locals with some foreigners. Its a small school and what resources it has are always running out of this or that, and theres always an excuse why. Package is pretty low, youll get by but nothing to get overly excited about. If you had to be in Indonesia for some reason or had nothing better on offer, you could go do your two years and move on. Nothing you do there will help your resume or professionally. With admin you have to be a bobble head because every negative issue will be reflected in your reference, such as not turning off lights in your room.
tsalicco

Post by tsalicco »

I'll stay in Canada if nothing else comes available lol. Thank you for the honesty, both here and with the Colombia post!
lantana

Post by lantana »

How do you know that, PsyGuy?
I am currently in Surabaya and have not heard the same things about SES as you have. I know teachers and families there. I have not met any local Indonesian families at that school, though I am sure there may be some. I'm sorry I don't know enough about the school to give feedback to the poster, but I do know enough to advise you to seek more information.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@lantana

Reliable and trusted resources. Your likely hearing self reports from teacher at the school who dont know any better. Do you really expect the school to advertise its faults and flaws?
tck4life

Post by tck4life »

Those arent facts or reality they are YOUR perceptions and your opinions.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Closer to someone elses communicated perception of reality. Facts are little more then highly credible opinions that either have not been disputed or have survived attempts to disprove them. They are far more common at fundamental levels of events and observation (such as physics), and become far less common at higher more phenomenal levels (psychology). Physics has lots of "laws", psychology only two.