Yew Chung Shanghai

Dillo

Yew Chung Shanghai

Post by Dillo »

There has been a lot of talk about what it is like in terms of working there / admin etc but nothing that up to date. Has anyone experienced the school recently? Would it be a good place for a first international job?

Thanks in advance
sassylassie

Re: Yew Chung Shanghai

Post by sassylassie »

I know someone who has worked there for about a year and a half.

There are four campuses in Shanghai so if you can specify which one, I may be able to find out more relevant information.

In general, my friend who works there is happy and reports that the kids are pretty good, the administration is generally supportive, and the other teachers are generally satisfied.

I believe their school year is quite long compared to some other intl schools in Shanghai. Fewer vacation days overall. I don't know how the salary compares but my friend was satisfied, albeit vague.

I think it would be an all right place to work. Everyone has to start somewhere. You could definitely do worse.

I'm fairly new to Shanghai myself and it's a fun, modern city with a lot of conveniences.

Let me know if you have specific questions.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

I don't know that much about the school - but I do know that it does take it's "Christian Values" to heart when employing people. As such, they highly prefer to employ practicing christians to the best of my knowledge....
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

I currently work in this school, and am in my 3rd year here.

Did you have any specific questions that I could answer?
Dillo

Post by Dillo »

Sent you a PM tdaley26

Thanks in advance
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I wouldnt disagree with the statement that they take their christian ethos seriously, I also wouldnt say they were as fanatical about it as QSI is. That said their a low 2nd tier school at best. Sure there are worse places, administration is the worst issue, specifically when it comes to workload. They see you as a commodity and they have no problems showing someone the door who isnt going to martyr themselves. They also tend to "over sell" Shanghai as a destination. Its glitzzy but so are a lot of places, and no matter what anyone says its still China.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

I would take whatever psyguy says with a grain (or tablespoon) of salt. The workload here is no different than I was accustomed to at a US school, with the exception of the requirement to run one afterschool activity per week.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Anyone who compares the workload at an IS to a public school workload, is making my argument for me.