ISM Philippines

Climberman

ISM Philippines

Post by Climberman »

ISM lists 4 middle school math jobs and 5 high school math jobs.

A typo?
sciteach

Re: ISM Philippines

Post by sciteach »

It's possible - but it does not have to be. My last school had 3 Science and 2 Math positions which is roughly have of both departments together last year, but ISM is a larger school. My old school will probably have no movements in these departments for 2/3 years....
Climberman

Post by Climberman »

If there are that many openings at such a first class school, does it mean it might be having problems or just added enrollment or...?
matts1w

Post by matts1w »

ISM is a great school and I would bet there is nothing sinister about the number of openings. Sometimes the numbers just fall that way. My school is very similar to ISM, and after a number of years with very few openings in one department we suddenly had seven positions to fill. I am certain many people thought, "Gosh, what is up at ---? Look at all the those X department openings! Is something wrong?" Here is how the cards truly fell...

2 Mandatory retirements (60 years old) Both enjoyed 20+ years here.
1 Vice principal (part time in that department) moving on to lead own school. Increasing enrolment makes that a full time opening.
1 The above's spouse. Both enjoyed 15+ years here.
1 Hired internally to administration.
2 Leaving for "usual" reasons as that is what international teachers do.

No drama. Nothing diabolical. No need to start an ISR thread. :)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Yep agreed ISM is a fantastic school and if you are a math teacher I would definitely apply. I'm happy at my school but if I was looking to move that is a school I'd want to go to for sure.
senator

Post by senator »

I was in Manila a few times. Make sure you don't mind CRAZY traffic.

Anybody check out the David Toze and ISM blog? White Man's Burden?
cdn

Post by cdn »

There are a lot of positions because many of the faculty are moving on after being there for 5+ years. Many have been there for 8-10 years. People stay for a long time - the average tenure at 5/6 years - because it is such a great place.
smsmissy

Post by smsmissy »

I'd like to back up what cdn said. There are many positions because people who have been here for over 5 years are leaving. Nothing sinister about the numbers. It really is a wonderful place to work. Manila itself will not blow you away and the traffic is horrible. The school more than makes up for it with its compensation package and overall wonderful place to work. David Toze is a wonderful leader who is respected by almost all of the faculty and staff! :)
Climberman

Post by Climberman »

SMSMISSY,

Can I PM you to ask a few questions about the school?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Ello,

No not a typo, its not sinister either well not really. The school just wants to make some changes in philosophy and long term strategy/vision, and a number of teachers comfortable with the "old" practice are taking the opportunity to adopt somewhere else.
smsmissy

Post by smsmissy »

Hi-
All schools change their long term strategy/vision, but that's not the reason most are leaving. Most people are leaving because they've been here for a long time and are ready for a change. I know this because I am actually here, teaching at ISM. This is not hearsay.

Climberman- please feel free to PM me with questions. I am more than willing to answer your questions.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Large , significant groups just don't coincidentally leave. Its nothing sinister, schools change and a significant number of teachers decided to leave for changes elsewhere. Its nothing bad, but when your career has a momentum and routine, and something disrupts it, you take notice of the opportunities available to you.