Fair Question

Micky

Fair Question

Post by Micky »

I will be attending my first job fair and in reviewing some of the fairy diaries I still have an important question. In the diaries it is stated that one often has like 24 hours to make a decision but contracts are sometimes not sent out until April or May. If you get an offer will they tell you on which salary scale step you will be placed and the exact benefits that will be offered or will this not be known until the contract arrives? Money will be playing a big part in accepting an offer and I want to make sure I am not in for a surprise later on in the year.
wntriscoming

Re: Fair Question

Post by wntriscoming »

Every job offer I've ever recieved has come with a contract then and there. The contracts stated on the top which step on the salary scale I'd be at and the benefits offered.

I don't think I've ever asked--They give the whole salary and benefits package with the offer. If you have an offer and no salary/package/benefits given, just say that you are excited (or whatever) and would love to review the details of their package and get back to them after you've looked it over. Or, if it's a dream job, accept it without looking. It's very, very normal and expected for teachers to look over the insurance policies, the calendar, extra duties, housing benefits, etc. Totally normal question and they'd probably wonder if you didn't ask about it! For salary scale, schools have just looked at my resume and calculated the years I've worked as a teacher.
Micky

Post by Micky »

Thank you for the info wintriscoming. I also noticed that not all of the schools attending are doing a presentation. Is this normal, and if so what is the reason?
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

Are you going to the Melbourne fair??

The only reason I ask is that I have noticed that a couple of the schools are not presenting, but the timetable has not been updated since ISB and SAS pulled out.

There are a couple of reasons why schools don't present. One is a lack of time (only certain places) as only a limited number of schools can present, or the school may only have one person visiting the fair. I'm guessing this is common for smaller schools and smaller fairs like Melbourne.

If you want to chat about the Melbourne Fair feel free to PM me....
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I've been to four fairs and always had the contract signed and it's particulars explained right there and then. If they are not, then I would be hesitant to agree to anything.