Teaching as a second career for a STEM PhD

banker2teacher

Teaching as a second career for a STEM PhD

Post by banker2teacher »

Hi, I'm new here, and very interested in the possibility of teaching at an international school. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on a strategy for my search.

Here are the details: I'm a STEM PhD with a very strong academic background. Most of my colleagues went on to teach at universities, but I wasn't as interested in academic research, so went to the private sector after PhD. Now that I've become a father and have ample savings from my job, I'm looking for a career that lets me spend more time with my son at the cost of a lower salary. We currently live overseas, so teaching at an international school seems like a way to ensure he gets a good education (for free!) while I get a rewarding career and excellent quality of life.

My question is mainly how to approach the search process, given that my son is likely to enroll in school in a few years. Should I obtain any credentials? I've lectured at several universities in the past, but have no teaching-specific credentials. We have a fairly good idea where we'd like to live, so should I reach out to top schools in the area this far in advance? Do athletics and other interests matter? I've done some youth coaching in the past, and was a good athlete in high school--would be happy to get involved in extracurriculars. Any other suggestions would be welcome.
shadowjack

Re: Teaching as a second career for a STEM PhD

Post by shadowjack »

Depending on where you are in the world, you might not be employable in a K-12 school unless you have a teaching certificate. Given your current credentials, this is not a deal breaker in terms of do-ability. Teach Now or Teacher Ready are good options for you. The former is out of DC and the latter out of Florida.

However, although you have a strong academic background (which is great), do you have a REAL desire to teach, or do you want to do it to spend more time with your family? Honestly, there will be times where you will have to choose between your biological children and your student children - and it won't necessarily come out in favour of your biological children because the demands of the job and the needs of your students sometimes must be met first.

There are also jurisdictions where a PhD might get you a job - but if you try to move on to other geographic locations, it might not be as easy. You should start exploring to see what works. If you do one of the programs I mentioned above, you will need to find an international school to sponsor you and allow you to teach there while you complete your program. Cost is around 6,000 USD for the year of the program and according to people I know who took such programs, it is more intense than they thought it would be.

The final issue I would address is experience. Yes, you have real life experience in business in your chosen field which you hold a PhD in. But if you have never taught, while some schools might be willing to hire you, other schools might be bound by the two years of experience rule. What does that mean to you in practical terms? You might have an offer from a school, but it might not be what you consider a 'good school', depending on the geographical/country location.

You would also need to keep in mind that if you are a US citizen, there will be tax laws that benefit you for the first two years in some countries, but which after that see you take a financial hit as regulations in the host country kick in. As well, if you are already resident in the country you want to teach in, you might be offered a teaching position, but not on an international hire contract because you already are resident and the school did not go recruiting you, you came asking to the school. What does that mean for you? Possibly no free tuition (and if you are thinking of teaching in Europe and do land an international contract, your housing allowance and your tuition benefit are all part of your taxable income), or only partial tuition. If your spouse is not a teacher and won't teach at the school, then when you have child #2, if you do, you most likely won't receive free or discounted tuition when the time comes, unless it is a school policy (most schools have a one teacher one child tuition/one dependent policy, although there are the odd schools that don't - they tend to be the exception rather than the rule).

Lots of things to think about - good luck and keep us posted!

shad
banker2teacher

Post by banker2teacher »

Thanks for the info, Shad. I'll reply to various points below:

shadowjack wrote:
> Teach Now or Teacher Ready are good options for you.

Since I still have at least 3 years before I need to get a teaching job, do you think these are the two best options? I like the fact that they are online programs, however I notice that they are not eligible for financial aid from the US government. My preference would be for a program that is eligible.

> However, although you have a strong academic background (which is great),
> do you have a REAL desire to teach, or do you want to do it to spend more
> time with your family?

I actually do very much enjoy teaching.

> The final issue I would address is experience. Yes, you have real life
> experience in business in your chosen field which you hold a PhD in. But if
> you have never taught, while some schools might be willing to hire you,
> other schools might be bound by the two years of experience rule. What does
> that mean to you in practical terms? You might have an offer from a school,
> but it might not be what you consider a 'good school', depending on the
> geographical/country location.

This is something that concerns me. I would not pursue this career if not for my son, and we want to send him to a top school. My alternative is to continue my first career and pay my son's tuition with that salary. I'll ask around at top schools and see whether any would be interested in sponsoring me. Does lecturing experience count as teaching experience?

Have a couple other random questions: (1) Assuming I land a teaching position and enroll my son in the school, how reliable is it that my contract will be renewed if I take the job seriously? It seems that most contracts are short term. I'm not looking to be a tourist, but to stick with a job for 10+ years, perhaps the duration of my son's K-12 education. A lack of job security is particularly unattractive in this case, as it means uprooting my son as well. (2) What kind of work hours are typical? I'm used to pulling 50+ hour weeks, so would love a normal 40-hour job with summers to take my son to see his grandparents in the US.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi banker2teacher, I have put my responses after yours.

Since I still have at least 3 years before I need to get a teaching job, do you think these are the two best options? I like the fact that they are online programs, however I notice that they are not eligible for financial aid from the US government. My preference would be for a program that is eligible.

Your problem is that if you are abroad and making money, you likely will not qualify for a PELL grant or financial subsidies except on a university by university basis where they are offering you some money, or an EA position in a department.

I actually do very much enjoy teaching.

That is good :-)

This is something that concerns me. I would not pursue this career if not for my son, and we want to send him to a top school. My alternative is to continue my first career and pay my son's tuition with that salary. I'll ask around at top schools and see whether any would be interested in sponsoring me. Does lecturing experience count as teaching experience?

You have to understand that 'top schools' are targets for hundreds, often thousands of teachers on a yearly basis. What is going to set YOU apart from the rest other than you have a PhD with business experience? Stack that up against a teacher with 12 years experience who gets amazing results from his or her students at all levels. That's why I mentioned that sometimes you have to pay your dues and work your way up. However, there is always the exception to the rule, so anything is possible!

Lecturing experience does NOT count as teaching experience. Lecturing is very very different than teaching, as you will find out if you enter the profession.

Have a couple other random questions: (1) Assuming I land a teaching position and enroll my son in the school, how reliable is it that my contract will be renewed if I take the job seriously? It seems that most contracts are short term. I'm not looking to be a tourist, but to stick with a job for 10+ years, perhaps the duration of my son's K-12 education. A lack of job security is particularly unattractive in this case, as it means uprooting my son as well. (2) What kind of work hours are typical? I'm used to pulling 50+ hour weeks, so would love a normal 40-hour job with summers to take my son to see his grandparents in the US.

1. If you are in Europe, at many schools after 2 years you have tenure. But then the local tax laws kick in on you, changing the game plan. In other areas, as long as you continue to be an effective teacher, you are ok. But like at any job, with a change in leadership can come a change in situation where you are made to feel 'not welcome' and encouraged to 'move on' because of someone else' agenda. I have seen that happen. BUT - if you are good, you will almost 100% be able to find a position in a good school.

2. What's 'typical'? LOL I have weeks where I work, prep, volunteer and mark for 40+ hours - I have other weeks where I am working 80+ hours as exams and comprehensive written reports for my 120+ students come due, along with regular duties, teaching, prep and volunteering. What is nice is having your children at school with you. You have a chance to spend time with them on the way to school, on the way home from school, and sometimes to teach them, as well as opportunities to interact with their teachers and get the inside scoop on their work (not just at report card time).

However, that makes your holidays 'taste better'. Mrs. Shadowjack and I are soooo ready for a holiday :-) Coming soon, too!

Hope this helps, and it's just my own 2 cents.

Shad
banker2teacher

Post by banker2teacher »

This is very helpful. Thanks, shad.