Nacel International School System & Nacel Open Door, Inc.

Micky

Nacel International School System & Nacel Open Door, Inc.

Post by Micky »

Does anyone know anything about this org? I received an offer to interview and have no clue how they even got my contact info. Seems like they are running schools in China, Turkey, France and South Korea. Anyone with info or that has or is working for them and willing to share some info would be greatly appreciated.
honeymustard

Re: Nacel International School System & Nacel Open Door, Inc

Post by honeymustard »

The one in vietnam is bad
Last edited by honeymustard on Sat May 09, 2015 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Micky

Post by Micky »

Honeymustard, Thank you for your confirmation of what I feared. I have come to expect if they come calling before I call them there is generally a reason.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Micky, if you belong to the teachincanada site you might have gotten the Nacel notice.
teacherthomas

Post by teacherthomas »

All,

I worked for NACEL Open Door as a teacher for the Homestay program in NY. In regards to this, NACEL was great. Pay was good and was very flexible. Could pretty much do whatever I wanted.

However, cannot comment on working for them full time or in any place other than NY.

But for summer school program it was great and easy!
bombayrichard

Post by bombayrichard »

The only school where I've ever "done a runner", breaking contract. In my decade of teaching internationally, this was by far the worst. A few of the highlights...

A month into the school year, I was asked to sign a new, "updated contract." I refused.

Shortly after, we learned that the school year was 200 days, not the 180 agreed to in the contract. The response of the co-ower was "This is China. These things happen"). We were told we would be reimbursed at the end of the school year for the extra days. I don't know if that ever happened.

I was never given a work permit. The school initially wanted me to pay for the "visa run" out of the country. They eventually relented but insisted I get the next one.

You should know:

Nacel hires Americans through their Minnesota office (the organization was founded by an American and his Chinese partner), but once you reach your post, decisions affecting you are made by the local school, and the people hiring and interviewing you know very little about the actual school and its policies.

I was always paid on time and NACEL deducted taxes and sent me a W-2 which made tax time easier.

Contracts are one-year, at least mine was, so I suppose if you’re flat desperate, you might do worse. Still, this was a big career misstep for me, and I’ll always have this hole in my resume due to an organization that wasn’t very honest, couldn’t get teachers a work permit, and doesn’t deserve quality applicants.
ChinaTeach

Post by ChinaTeach »

The SPAC branch in Clark, Pampanga in the Philippines is a very shady school.It is owned and operated by a Korean Buisness man.
My friend was there for only 1 year and was treated quite badly and left.The students are Korean and have social issues and one of the Korean teachers comited suicide not very long ago.
Micky

Post by Micky »

Thanks for all the info. I am not desperate, just looking what's out there. I did the interview and found out it was for profit and then declined to go further.