question re: RMB (currency)

vandsmith

question re: RMB (currency)

Post by vandsmith »

hey all

i've been contacted by some schools in china that pay in RMB. they list a starting salary in the range of 50000 RMB which, when converted, is about 9-10000 USD. is this the norm for teachers in that region? the savings vs. salary is good but saving 75% of a 10000USD salary/year seems a bit crappy. are most of these schools on the lookout for fresh teachers?

those thoughts are a bit jumbled but hopefully you see what i'm getting at. thanks in advance.

v.
expatteacher99

Re: question re: RMB (currency)

Post by expatteacher99 »

9 or 10k USD is the annual salary? My goodness, I have never heard of such a low salary for teachers. I have not worked in China however so I am also curious to hear if this is a typical salary!
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Well, I have found that if a school that you have not applied to contacts you, it's generally not a good sign (although there are obviously going to be exceptions).

50K rmb per MONTH, including housing, would be a great salary. For a year, it's worse than embarrassing and closer to theft of services. A decent school seeking a certified teacher should be paying at least 20 to 25K rmb per month, plus housing, depending what part of the country you would be in. 30K plus housing would be more like it for Beijing or Shanghai.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

50,000 RMB translates closer to 8200 USD and would be an exceptional monthly salary and you should jump on it even if your benefits are limited. If that is a yearly salary then I think it speaks for itself.
tangchao

Post by tangchao »

It's a joke mate. A taxi driver could make more than that in a year.

There was a bloke who had no idea who came to China to manage a school and thought he could get western teachers for 10,000 RMB a month! Needless to say, he failed.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

yeah i thought the same thing about the salary.
too low to be yearly, but really high for a monthly.
i'm hesitant to contact the school and clarify - i don't want to look like it's all about the money.
the search associates field says 'salary expectations'.

another one i saw is shen wai, and it's similar - 45000 RMB salary. i've heard people say good things about that school, decent package etc... but that is what they have on search.

confused.

v.
HoraceMann

Post by HoraceMann »

OP,

Are you sure it doesn't say 50,000USD equivalent paid in RMB. I am in a "middle of the pack" school pay wise, and my salary is 50,000 USD (equivalent) paid in RMB. You should check again. As stated in previous posts the figures don't match a realistic salary (50,000RMB whether monthly or yearly).

HM
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

thanks all. i understand now.

v.