ISM Manila BKK Interview is it possible?

honeymustard

ISM Manila BKK Interview is it possible?

Post by honeymustard »

Deleted
Last edited by honeymustard on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matts1w

Re: ISM Manila BKK Interview is it possible?

Post by matts1w »

I have friends who were hired there through the BKK fair.

Still...the best way to get a shot at any of the IASAS schools is to know people already there who will bring your name to the principal, head of school, etc... In most cases that ensures your application materials will be truly considered. That is huge as schools like ISM get hundreds and hundreds of applications every year.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

The other thing to understand is that ISM is about being on top of your pedagogy, current in practice, thinking, and theory, and bringing your A game. The head, David Toze, is an amazing fellow who holds high expectations of everybody, including himself. I know several people who know him and others who have worked at ISM and it sounds like fantastic place to work.

My advice, put your best foot forward before the fair and at the fair. Start following educational leaders and theorists on LinkedIn and Twitter, become part of that global online community and put your voice out there. If you don't make it to ISM this year, try to buttonhole David and find out what he is looking for, and make it clear you are looking to grow as an educator. Do NOT mention your desire to have easy access to SCUBA sites and being in love with the "idea" of working at the best school. Either you DO, or you DON"T want to work at the best school.

Also keep in mind that there are other good schools in the Philippines, such as Brent College.

Good luck with your mission and keep us posted!

Shad
Snowbeavers

Post by Snowbeavers »

I've interviewed with them twice and got offered both times at the Search fair in Bangkok (but I declined). I remember that I think I had contacted them before the fair and believe I just approached them at the interview sign-up (was awhile ago so forget). Good school and it is a good location for diving.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Where else have you dived in SE Asia?

Personally, I like diving in Indonesia/Borneo better than the Philippines. Southern Sulawesi Island, Komodo Islands and Sipadan Island would be at the top of my list. However, I've never been to Tubbataha Reef, which is supposed to be the best spot in the Philippines. I've also never been to the Maldives or Palau and Truk. I guess it's time to book my next vacation.

For great work experiences and diving opportunities within one flight, I would also consider places like Surabaya, Jakarta, Singapore, Hong Kong, KL and BKK. KL probably has the best flight options and location for divers. Air Asia goes everywhere for cheap.

ISM is a great school, but most people don't love living in Manila. If you can tolerate the city, you are doing well. Most find other South East Asian cities more desirable.