Divorce and Cover Letter

Climberman

Divorce and Cover Letter

Post by Climberman »

What's your opinion?

If the only reason you left your last overseas job was due to separation and divorce, should you include that information briefly in your cover letter so that prospective employers know why you did not stay at the job longer? Or is it unprofessional and maybe a little to much info?

Thanks for any help.
whynot

Re: Divorce and Cover Letter

Post by whynot »

Same happened to me, I did not state it, whether I lost out on an interview because of that I have no idea. No school since has ever queried it, despite me being willing to explain.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I suppose it would depend on whether the decision to leave created an unfavorable impression on your work history (i.e. broken contract, leaving school mid year, etc). If you felt that you needed to offer a reasonable explanation or extenuating circumstances to offset something like that, then possibly you would want to find the best wording to express that. Otherwise, probably best to be avoided until you could talk about it in interview, face to face.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I wouldn't mention it. Sell yourself on your positives, not on your baggage. But if anybody asks, be prepared with a response.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

I would only reference it in a cover letter if you left after a year. If you stayed two or more, then just be prepared in case they ask during the interviews.

If you left after a year, you may want to mention it, then highlight how long you have stayed at other positions.