Beijing International Bilingual Academy

Jordan100

Beijing International Bilingual Academy

Post by Jordan100 »

Does anyone have any recent information about this school, especially the secondary school? Really need some help here :)
Cangguru

Re: Beijing International Bilingual Academy

Post by Cangguru »

Any updates about this school? I'm wondering about the MS/HS specifically, and what the elementary is like for kids. Also, is pay enough for Beijing, given free housing, and would it be a good move to work there early in a career?
Cangguru

Post by Cangguru »

I know there is info on this in past posts but am interested in recent opinions. Or maybe people won't answer because we can't comment on schools anymore? Anyway, thanks for any help.
adminpaul

Post by adminpaul »

You can comment but within the forum guidelines. See the guidelines for details. You can also private message.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its the same third tier school for host nationals (with western teachers kids) with Chinese management and policies; and all the problems that come with it. Its an ESOL program that looks international and western inside a Chinese Independent/Private school.

The salary is near the edge of the ESOL market and the bottom of the IS market. getting by is going to depend more on you than the salary you wont be able to lead a high or luxury western lifestyle, nor will you starve. You wouldnt have to count your RMB, but you wont be buying a new iDevice too often. Youll be able to go out and have social time but nothing too glamorous. The biggest burden is going to be travel, as your going to have to budget to see much outside of Beijing.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree that the difference between those two examples is that the former is more positive/neutral, and the latter is negative and specific. However there are serious issues with some of your suggestions and issues

*Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with, an Employee or Representative of ISR in any way shape or form.*

The first is the amount of resources needed to keep track of who has "viewing" credits from evaluation credits. The added technical issues of activating and deactivating viewing access as that happens.

Second, yes evaluations do tend to get outdated, but you cant make ITs submit evaluations (well ISs can), but ISR cant, and compensating or incentivising them has issues associated with it.

Third, I see problems with the "honest evaluation" whats honest and whats not? There are serious issues of credibility (even if the evaluations submitted are honest) when you incentivise ITs to submit evaluations. The ISs with negative reviews then have a stronger cause of action against ISR. A completely non incentivised voluntary review system is easier to defend.
In addition, I can see issues of integrity abuse. Do we really want reviews that are bought or consist of fluff just so that a user can get a look at a school review. Those types of reviews dont serve anyone.

Fourth, in regard to private messages vs. public forum posts. It would be very difficult to police PMs, but the real issue is that there is simply a lot less fall out legally, and politically from PM's its communication between two and only 2 parties. This makes it easy to defend against, because first its obscure, an aggrieved . would need to find out about it, but second too successfully prosecute (win) in a defamation case you have to "publish" the statements or claims made. Posting on a public forum is far, far, far, far more difficult to defend against that the forum is not a publication.

*Aside*: Many websites get to benefit from what are referred to as "safe harbor" protections, meaning the site is considered a medium of communication exchange, think of it like the telephone company. If your on a conference call with a room fall of people and you call one of them a liar and a cheat, you the speaker are the ones that has "published" that statement. The phone company isnt liable for the defamation because they supplied the technology to make the transmission of that statement possible. Its a similar issue with this site. ISR isnt publishing the statement, they didnt create the statements content, their just the mechanism. Of course the argument that the ISs make is that the site (ISR) facilitated and/or is partial creator of the content.

Fifth, The admins and moderators have to monitor the site content anyway. There are other guidelines and rules that need to be enforced. We have very little advertising spam, no ones threatening to kill other people or writing F bombs every couple words. Since monitoring is a necessary task, locking a thread is pretty easy.
In addition, this site uses common forum software that is available online (phpBBs) you can search for it and download it if you want, it doesnt require a great deal of coding, most of the display elements are templates that come with the software.

Sixth, no they really really dont want to ban people. I realize your kind of new to the forum, but *sigh*, this has happened before. The heat just gets really really intense and ISr needs some breathing room. I dont know whats going on with the war outside with the ISs, but whatever they are insulating us from its probably bad.

Lastly, ISR isnt in this for the money. They are teachers, they dont really make anything off of this. There is no advertising revenue (no side or click adds or banners on the site). Its supported by memberships to the paid side, and maybe some donations.