Applying for Jobs - Search vs. School Website

Yo Teach'

Applying for Jobs - Search vs. School Website

Post by Yo Teach' »

Last edited by Yo Teach' on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fluffy123

Re: Applying for Jobs - Search vs. School Website

Post by Fluffy123 »

This is really interesting, as we have just signed up for Search.
We had already sent in applications to a few schools, who we now understand are also with Search with current vacancies suitable for us.
Do we follow up with an email through Search too? Or treat it completely separately?
I am not sure how Search get their commission... Is it a flat rate for schools in their data base, or do they get commission when they place someone? If so, I wonder if some schools (who have already advertised in TES etc) want to avoide involving Search if we have already independently applied.
Very confusing. From now on though, I'll definitely be mentioning my search profile in applications as it contains all the references etc.

As to the original question, I would send a separate email to the HR / recruitment address mentioning the application through Search. I suspect schools get inundated with Search applications so perhaps they don't bother to check their search email at all?
It also explains more about why so many schools have their own application forms these days... Too easy to check a box and fire it off through Search, it weeds out the people who are serious.
esn19

Post by esn19 »

I was under the impression that we were supposed to use the Search Associates messaging as a way to apply to schools, unless they specifically ask for direct email applications. To me this is one of the benefits for Search over TIEonline. You can see a clear profile of their school, and they can see a clear profile of you. Maybe I've been going about this all wrong?
Fluffy123

Post by Fluffy123 »

esn, this is what Search ask people to do - but schools surely must get inundated with applications from the Search data base? A lot of them ask you to also apply through the website (on their own application forms etc)
It is confusing.
I will be covering all bases, but there must be a fine line between being pro-active and being annoying to schools.
twimih

Post by twimih »

Search is aware that schools are asking candidates to apply through sites other than Search's, and that the number of schools doing so is increasing. The advice they've given me is to apply the way each school asks you to apply, even if it means a whole lot more work for you. It's one way the schools are weeding through hundreds of applications. To not do so, only relying on the Search website, is decreasing your chances of being noticed. Search is apparently looking at ways to improve this situation. It helps to talk with your associate about this, and not just rely on what they say on the website. Things are constantly evolving.

Definitely tell each school you have a file with Search - those confidential references are valuable to them. But apply exactly the way they ask you to if you want to be noticed.