How important really is the 2 year experience requirement?

Cherrypop

How important really is the 2 year experience requirement?

Post by Cherrypop »

Will schools just throw your application in the trash if they do not see two years on your application? Is it a visa requirement in most countries?

I suppose that I am asking because I will have one year experience of a certified teacher in an elementary classroom (May 2015), one year as an ESL teacher in S. Korea, and 2 years of assistant teacher.

During this year of teaching as a certified teacher, my co-workers have commented multiple times how I seem to have my head together and things under control. I suppose it's because for the last 3 years, I have either lead my own classroom or smaller groups of students under my direction. Lesson planning comes with ease for me as well as classroom management.

I really want to apply to some schools starting for next fall, but I wonder if I even should. I know some people are able to start in international schools without experience, but generally start out in Egypt or China in unfavorable conditions. The countries/areas of interest for me are Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, The Caribbean or Central/South America.

With my experience, could I apply to schools that say they want 2 years of certified experience and still have a chance at being hired?

BA English
Single with no dependents
Overhere

Re: How important really is the 2 year experience requiremen

Post by Overhere »

Apply, what's the worst that can happen? You won't get the job if you don't try.
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

When I signed up with Search I had the same amount of experience as you, and I got interview offers during my first year of teaching - some schools won't even consider it obviously, but I think you will be able to present yourself well enough to cover the gap with others. Like overhere said, nothing to lose.
Cherrypop

Post by Cherrypop »

Wow, that's good to hear. I'll definitely apply to see what interviews I can get. I know some of the countries that I am interested in are a little harder to get into. Hopefully, I can present myself in a way that shows I can handle the demands of being a teacher without the two years of certified experience.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

As someone said, apply as it costs nothing but your time and you never know when your application will hit at just the right place and time (and get you in a door that would normally be closed to you).

That being said, I believe that some/most of the Asian countries you are interested will require 2 years experience for a visa. On the other hand, even if true, there always seem to be exceptions to the rules, which leads back to APPLY.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

I would echo what others have said - not a requirement for all schools, but is certainly an asset. Depends on the school and their needs - it seems to me that the more reputable the school, the better choice of candidates and experience. Though having said that, when my wife and I were interviewing we were straight out of teacher's college and got quite a few offers at the fairs. Other experience pre-cert. can help your chances.
The worst that can happen is you don't get the job. I would also suggest going to a fair if you can afford it - face to face interviews are a lot better than just sending a CV.
Cherrypop

Post by Cherrypop »

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'll definitely apply and see what I can get!
Cafare52

Post by Cafare52 »

I was able to score a job at an IB school in Central America with one year of experience teaching non IB courses. Definitely go for it and I would also encourage you to look in this geographical region. The money is terrible but you can get experience.
emilysue1212

Post by emilysue1212 »

Apply, and definitely go to a fair (I recommend the UNI fair for newbies). From personal experience, it's hard to get in to your dream school with the experience you listed (I had 1 year in the states, 1 year in S. Korea teaching ESL, and 3 years teaching at university while getting my masters). I'm currently on year 3 in the Middle East-pretty much the last place I wanted to go when I was originally looking to teach abroad. But the school I'm at has been great and now as I'm thinking ahead to recruiting next year, I know I'll be 100% more competitive with 5 years of classroom teaching under my belt and 4 years aboard at a "hardship" post (as they say). My advice is to recruit with an open mind and find the best fit professionally. Don't limit yourself by location. There are some excellent schools out there in places you never dreamed you would go! Good luck.