Schools offering tenure

fine dude

Schools offering tenure

Post by fine dude »

What are some good international schools that offer tenure to its teachers?

Thank you.
sid

Re: Schools offering tenure

Post by sid »

Tenure is pretty much a US concept.
However, there are a few countries (not schools) where job holders get some pretty serious protections that add up similarly to tenure. Germany comes to mind quickly. Other European countries often have some protections, but you need to check each one for details.
I'm not aware of any schools which offer tenure or anything tenure-like, except the ones in the countries above, where it is required by law. Still, always excited to hear about something new. Anyone come across something like this?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

WBAIS Israel offered tenure when I was there. Not sure if they still do.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Tenure is not a given in international schools. It is determined by the laws of the land. So Germany, France, etc, have 'tenure', but as an American, you take a significant tax hit after year 2, where you lose some tax treaty benefits.

Outside of places like that, you sign at 2 year contract followed by one or two year extensions, which can be terminated with cause by the employer.

When the contract ends, the employer does NOT have to offer you another one.
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

In the UK a fixed contract effectively becomes a permanent one after a certain amount of time and the employer cannot terminate without "fair reason". Two years but can depend on the job - and as always is complicated and just like in the US depends on how big your balls are and how many lawyers your employer has. I'm sure there are similar conditions in other "first world" countries.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Thanks, Sid, Taylor, and Shad.
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

fine dude wrote:
> Thanks, Sid, Taylor, and Shad.

Apologies for adding nothing. Or did I misunderstand the question?