How many times is normal??!

Fluffy123

How many times is normal??!

Post by Fluffy123 »

Other half and I currently applying for jobs for 2015. Mainly UK experience state and private, 7 years international in good schools, with some IPC and. Aus, 30 years teaching between us. Primary but have middle school experience & specialties, one in STEM area. One dependent.
We have applied for some Big Guns so far (tanglin, UwC etc) but not a sausage.... Last time we were applying we got interviews for one of these so we know we are near the ball-park.
We have gone on to apply for some other great schools in KL, UAE, a lot of the closing dates not till mid Dec, so we are waiting, waiting....
How many applications is it normal to submit in each recruiting round?
We have a solid work history, decent PD, good references. We have applied to about 10 schools now. Is that usual?
Any advice appreciated.
sid

Re: How many times is normal??!

Post by sid »

10 seems quite small to me. I'm conservative and would live in fear that it wouldn't be enough. I'd rather cast a wide net, say 30-50, and have registered for a fair as a back-up.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

I'd say 20-30 schools, plus a fair registration.

It's a LOT of cover letters and e-mails to write and keep track of. I always make a very organized list of first contact date, who I e-mailed, any contact back (if it's a form letter or personal), 2nd contact made, etc.

We sent them out in waves. Our first 8 picks (5 interviews gained), our next 7-10 picks (3 more interviews gained), then the 3rd wave in early December. We had schools we'd first written to in early-mid November contacting us back in late December, after we'd already picked from the contracts offered.

Hope this is helpful--I'd send out more for sure!
cdn

Post by cdn »

When my wife and I were searching two years ago we applied to maybe 25 different schools. We also went to the Search fair in London where we landed a job at a school we had previously applied. It takes a bunch!
Fluffy123

Post by Fluffy123 »

wow, OK!
That is good to hear. Thanks for the replies.
I know, it seems like every school now has its own application form, and they really do take hours.
I know the argument about it not being much for a job you really want, but we seems to spending all our free time at the minute applying (each application carefully researched etc)
I am sure it will pay off in the end
We are registered for Search BGK spring - too late for January apparently.
We are well qualified etc so I am sure something will come up, it is just awful waiting.
Good idea bout the spreadsheet - thanks for that. I will do that too!
esn19

Post by esn19 »

I know how you feel! It's been taking all of our time outside of work, and it's been hard when it seems like you're barely getting a sniff in response. Search Associates' message system has helped speed it up.
Cali.Girl

Post by Cali.Girl »

If you haven't already joined Tieonline, that is another source for international teaching jobs.