Anyone with info on OFS Singapore?

Fluffy123

Anyone with info on OFS Singapore?

Post by Fluffy123 »

The reviews on this site are a bit dire, but I know that they are moving to a new campus (end of this academic year?)
Wondering about the salary, and what the accommodation allowance might be like. I have found a few threads on the forums but they are 2 years old now.
Assuming when they move to the new campus the rentals in that area might be more affordable? I would be applying as a teaching couple, one child.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks
fine dude

Re: Anyone with info on OFS Singapore?

Post by fine dude »

A tier 2 school for Singapore, pay is not so bad but health insurance could be worrisome. Some teachers (with kids) I know working there opted for a private provider and paid premiums mostly out of their pockets.
They strongly prefer teachers who can actively contribute to activities and sport and they basically admit almost every student. So, it is a for-profit school without any doubt.
Fluffy123

Post by Fluffy123 »

Thanks for that Fine Dude. Yes, understand it is a Tier 2, but probably a good way for us to get into Singapore... The new campus looks amazing.
Rob

Post by Rob »

After teaching in another school in Singapore for 18 years, I retired in Singapore, only to accept a year long position at OFS a few years ago, and a year long position again a couple years ago.

As a teacher, you work hard at OFS. The MYP and IB preparation involve lots and lots of meetings, and the further division of labor for test writing to accomplish all the "essential elements" have to be approved by the department head before the exam can be used. I thought the tests were very valid as a result.

The classes are large, and some of the classrooms at the current campus are quite small, so it was quite congested at times. Many of the parents chose OFS because of its location right in the center of the city, but with the new campus way outside the city, that will be different. I think enrollments will drop, but that could lead to less crowded classes and be a positive. However, it might also lead to a loss in revenue.

There have been a couple of instances where a teacher needed extensive surgery, and it was actually covered. However, it is never really guaranteed. For the usual run of the mill illnesses, there is not problem, but avoid serious medical problems if you are there. Regardless, I just went to my own doctor most of the time if I was sick and paid out of pocket. Clinics are everywhere, and for one of the common illnesses, that is never a problem.

There have been a few instances where teachers are let go, and there has been little or no reasons given except "your services are no longer required". That's always a little disconcerting to hear, but in a for profit school like OFS, that will always happen. The principal does not really lead, but appear to instead. They follow the wishes of the one owner of the school.

Your potential colleagues are great. I had some of the most well-qualified colleagues as I had at any of my past schools. However, it always surprised me how they got these teachers, because OFS does not go to any of the recruitment fairs at all, but simply receives applications and takes it from there. Teachers are not hired until late in the year usually.

You are correct that being at OFS is certainly a wonderful way to get to Singapore. In my own case, when I got to Singapore in 1988, it was a wonderful city of 2.5 million, and now a city of 6 million plus. The congestion is apparent. Having said that, it was a wonderful home for me up until a year ago.