Difference between ISB and WAB?

interteach

Difference between ISB and WAB?

Post by interteach »

Is there anyone who can provide details on the differences between ISB Beijing and WAB - school culture, admin effectiveness, salary/benefits package, and anything else worth noting?
Monkey

Re: Difference between ISB and WAB?

Post by Monkey »

ISB's benefits + salary package is the best in Beijing, but WAB's is really good too. WAB has a much more open admissions policy, while ISB has a more selective policy. ISB's curriculum is more American-style with some international influences and the DP while WAB is IB all the way through. The old stereotype (from about a decade ago) was that ISB was the kind of school where you'd see the teachers in suits and ties and WAB was the place with teachers in flip flops. The stereotype was never 100% true, as stereotypes often aren't, and the school cultures have shifted a bit over time too.

I highly recommend reading the reviews on the paid side of the site, as both schools have many reviews that span many years. But the bottom line, IMO, is that if you are willing to deal with Beijing, either school would be a fine choice.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I would basically agree with the previous post. ISB seems more academically serious, WAB seems more fun. ISB has an amazing, modern, large and well-resourced campus that would put many small colleges to shame. WAB has a very nice, well-resourced campus that looks good but a bit funky (different levels and split/spread out campuses with a coffee shop and restaurant if I remember.

Either school would be an amazing job/school, IMHO, and I would have a tough time choosing between them (if I should ever be that fortunate).
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

I have seen colleagues at my former schools in Europe move to both ISB and WAB mostly for financial reasons. They were either single or couples with no kids.
A few years at any of these schools should put you in the top league as both are well recognised globally. ISB is slightly more cutting-edge, thanks to Tarek Razik's leadership.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

I heard people say that ISB is located in the middle of nowhere. If you go there, prepare to be bored.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I'd say "the middle of nowhere" is a bit exaggerated. It might have been true years ago when ISB first moved out of the city and into the 'burbs (called Shunyi). But 1) Shunyi has been built up quite a bit as a suburban area, 2) most single teachers live in the city and take school-provided transport out to school each day, and 3) WAB is also out in the same area, just slightly closer to town (and again, many of WAB's teachers live in the city and ride school buses into work each day).

For me, personally, I would pick WAB if I was IB experienced, or wanted IB experience in the PYP or MYP, and I would pick ISB if I was DP and/or didn't care about the MYP or PYP.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

interteach wrote:
> Is there anyone who can provide details on the differences between ISB Beijing and
> WAB - school culture, admin effectiveness, salary/benefits package, and anything
> else worth noting?
---------------------------------------------
Yes, an exaggeration. If ISB is in in the middle of nowhere then so is Dulwich, BSB and a few other smaller schools. There are plenty of shopping and eating opportunities out that way and the housing opportunities are more diverse (townhouses etc instead of all flats).

Of the schools actually in/near downtown there is really only BISS and BCIS. BISS is only so, so in terms of package and facilties. Not great, not horrible (at least a couple of years ago).

BCIS is actually a hidden gem (aand also running the IB). Package only slightly less than ISB/WAB and facilities very similar, if on a reduced scale, due to being right in town (built for around 1200 students I seem to remember). School offered nice flats across the street from school or a housing allowance that let you live anywhere you wished. Definitely worth a look if ISB or WAB are out of reach.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Thanks all for the replies. Interviews coming up. Let's see what happens.