can it really be that bad ?

missy

can it really be that bad ?

Post by missy »

You CAN save money in Dubai!!!
Last edited by missy on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scribe

Cost of living in Middle East

Post by scribe »

Terrific for you, Missy, if you are happy and feel well compensated - the point of a forum is to get different opinions. No need to denigrate others' input, however. In fact, statistics DO prove the cost of living to be going up rapidly in the Middle East. Stories of people ousted from their homes so landlords can boost rent aren't fairy tales - they happen, to real people. Ask the staff workers - the maintenance workers, food service people, security and support staff - how the cost of living increases have affected them. Cost of food is high - our family of four easily and regularly spends over $200 per week on food, not on going out to eat. I don't know how the third country workers make it, much less send money home, which is why they came in the first place. The cost of our villa to the school has gone up by almost one third in one year - and they were expensive to begin with. So if people aren't given housing, they need to be warned not to come - plain and simple.
guest5

re: Dubai, can it really be that bad?

Post by guest5 »

I agree with Scribe. The costs have steadily risen in Dubai, with no end in the foreseeable future. Our family, too, spends about $800-$1000/month in grocery bills and we practically never eat out! (The traffic is bad enough to deter us from wanting to leave our villa at night!) It's great if you find that you are saving money in Dubai. We can save money, but not like the "good old days"...does Dubai have some great things? Of course! Beaches and sunny days are great. Nobody is trying to compare teaching in a private school in Dubai with returning to the US to teach. It's just that there are alot of other great places to teach where you can save substantially more than in Dubai. Every place has good points and bad points. I just think that anyone considering a move to Dubai should be cautious about what the school's housing policy is and look at whether housing is provided or an allowance is given.
internationaleducator

Post by internationaleducator »

missy,

very positive aspects about Dubai, but what about the negatives?

Getting home at 5pm after starting at 6am?
Sitting in traffic for 2-3 hours on a return journey? (see above)
Sitting at Garhoud Bridge?Maktoum/Shididha Tunnel for an hour (see above)
Going out in the evening is horrendous!
Taxis refusing to take you across the brides (see above)
Rentals on property prices is astronomical, and is outside of most schools allowances
Usual topic of conversation - the roads of Dubai and the roadworks. It will be amazing when it is finished!!

Dubai is NOT the amazing place some people like to portray - most people come here for 2-3 years to save a bit of money (when they could be in another country and save a lot more). Most expats I have talked to cannot wait to leave this place as it is so superficial.

Yes, there is sun and sand here, but then that exists in Ibiza as well, so just go there for the summer as it is too hot here then.
missy

Post by missy »

WE'LL GLADLY TAKE YOUR PLACE. LOL.
Last edited by missy on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beenthere

Post by beenthere »

Ouch!
internationaleducator

Post by internationaleducator »

As suggested, missy (very appropriate name!) I voted with my feet and left the wonders of Dubai for those Jumeira Janes who like to moan about the maid.

I do not stay long in a country I find not to my tastes, but thanks for stating the obvious, and you are welcome to my place, lots of vacancies are often available at that establishment :) (I wonder why)

Oh and BTW two things, no need to SHOUT, it's rude and learn some grammar.
zackandedie

Post by zackandedie »

One needs a very good package in order to have a decent life style in Dubai forget about savings. We have now completed 2yrs here and the cost of living here have rocket high, now we have to pay on top of the company allowances which is no longer enough and they refuse to top up, school fees alone have gone up 15per cent in one year, housing rental ours has doubled since and is going up still, car rental, health clubs our was increased by 50 per cent and its not a beach club, toll charge and everything else as we now and they are talking about VAT charges in January, we already have gov tax and dental charges which we still have not found a reasonable company that will accept dental plan here. They are defenitely driving the expat working force out slowly.
Pike

Post by Pike »

According to the CIA World Fact books the inflation rate is 11%. This is higher than the pay the typical pay salary scale.

I know the real estate market ispusgig prices up.... Dubai as been growing at an astronomical rate,... in fact too fast. I don't think changing what the AED is "pegged" to is going to lower the inflation rate, but then again, I am NOT an economist. I think its the rowth rate that causing the inflation.

Anyway, we just accepted a teahing position on Duba. The school pays for our housing (plus 1/2 utilities) if we choose to take that option. We will get 110,000 AED if we choose to seek our own housing (plus we will be responsible for all utilities). Is this a good amount?

We also know someone who is leaving after living in Dubai for over 10 years.... she is prepared to sell us her 2000 Rav4 (3 door) for about 6,000 USD. Is this a good price?

Missy, you need to chillout a little- this isn't the beginning & end for information about living in Dubai. :wink:
guest5

Post by guest5 »

You'd be better off taking the free housing and paying for half of your utilities.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

[quote="Pike"]According to the CIA World Fact books the inflation rate is 11%. This is higher than the pay the typical pay salary scale.

We also know someone who is leaving after living in Dubai for over 10 years.... she is prepared to sell us her 2000 Rav4 (3 door) for about 6,000 USD. Is this a good price?

Missy, you need to chillout a little- this isn't the beginning & end for information about living in Dubai. :wink:[/quote]

I don't think you are realistic buddy.
Life in Dubai is expensive. You will get a shock once you are there. Why buy a 7 year old car at $6,000 dollars ? Shop around when you get there.
Is this one of the ESOL schools ?
Pike

Post by Pike »

[quote="Jonathan"]

I don't think you are realistic buddy.
Life in Dubai is expensive. You will get a shock once you are there. Why buy a 7 year old car at $6,000 dollars ? Shop around when you get there.
Is this one of the ESOL schools ?[/quote]

Why do you assume I am not being realistic? I lived in Chicago for a number of years and Chicago isn't very cheap either. I am currently in West Africa, and for a developing country, it isn't all that cheap at all. I can remember having a panic attack when we first arrived. We totlly didn't expect it. In both cases, the net pay for us would be higher in Dubai. Dubai is not going to be our final destination. Its more like a diner, where we stop for coffee & donuts. Sure, the coffee & donuts may not be the best, but I least we ate.

I am not familiar with that particular model of car. I know Toyota's in general hold their value pretty well. Besides, I didn't say I bought the car, only that it was her asking price for car.

Yes, the school is the Universal American School. I have read both negative & positive comments regarding the school. We have also spoken with several search associates about the school. They were very honest. They told us about ESOL's checkered past.

We are coming froma really bad situation. One must hope there is no worse place than where we are right now. Our director is stealing money from the school (right under the noses of the board), is a philanderer (sleeping with underage girls), psychologically disturbed (has a psychologist, burn the bed of his x gf because she left him to marry a french guy, etc,...), make inappropriate remarks about students, parents, staff (sent an emailing detail the extramarital drama of a parent of the school, etc,...), possobly taking bribes from parents & plays favoritism (retained two deserving students for failing two subjects, but pass 6 more, including one that failed 3 courses & received a D in another), and on and on.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

<--Pike---
I need a Chwarma stat 8)
guest5

Post by guest5 »

Dubai is a lot more expensive (particularly housing) than Chicago. 110,000 will get you a 2 bedroom apartment in Al Barsha. Nothing special...and then you'd have utilities on top of that. What type of housing are they offering you (with 1/2 of your utilities)? Where is it located? Traffic is horrific, so you aren't going to want to live too far out.
Pike

Post by Pike »

[quote="guest5"]Dubai is a lot more expensive (particularly housing) than Chicago. 110,000 will get you a 2 bedroom apartment in Al Barsha. Nothing special...and then you'd have utilities on top of that. What type of housing are they offering you (with 1/2 of your utilities)? Where is it located? Traffic is horrific, so you aren't going to want to live too far out.[/quote]

Hey, thanks for your thoughts/ advice
I posted the same question on Dubai Forum, this is one guy said- he seems to agreee with you,....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
110k gets you a good 1 bedroom apt. Might get you a poor 2 bedroom. Utilities not too much unless you live in villa or huge apartment. ....UAS in Festival City near Business Bay bridge. Live in Festival City if you want to avoid traffic jams to work, or Jumeirah/Barsha might avoid traffic jams but longer trip. Mirdiff closer but don't know if morning traffic from there a problem.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The poster asked the same question about where the schools accomodations are located,... We haven't heard back from them yet,.. when I do, I'll pass it along and go from there.

My wife prefers a two bedroom (family already wants to visit us in Dubai) I prefer a one bedroom with a sofa bed if possible,.. I think it would be cheaper in the long run, maybe not. Thoughts?

To live in a decent part IN Chicago you have to pay alot for housing. We were paying nearly 1200 month for an (3-br) flat in West Ridge near Western & Devon. It wasn't in the better parts of the area. We lived in a very mix neighborhood- latin king next store & condos on the corners,...LOL

Anyway,.. terms like poor and nothing special is hard to relate to because its subjective terms (not saying it isn't accurate- we may have the same ideas and expectations) well,... do you know of any good links to research proerty in Dubai?

<--Pike----
My,... what big fonts you have!
guest5

Post by guest5 »

Sorry, I don't know of any property links, but you could probably do a google search to look for links. I would definitely ask the school for the location of their housing. Will they put you up in a hotel or serviced apartment until you find housing if you choose to go that route? Is the school provided housing "furnished" or do you have to buy your own furniture? Could you opt to take the school provided housing for the first year and then switch over to an allowance if you wanted to? Personally, while 110,000 dhs sounds like a lot of money, I think you'll find it really isn't when you start looking for a place, especially if you have to take into consideration the fact that the school would pick up 1/2 of your utilities if you are in school housing. If the school housing is near the school and would save you a lengthy commute every day, it would be another bonus. How about writing to some of the teachers currently teaching at the school and ask them about where they live and what they pay? The problem is that even though the government has supposedly put rent caps into effect, limiting the % that a landlord can raise the rent each year, in reality, it isn't enforced and the rents have really skyrocketed! Just a few years ago, 110,000 would get you a decent villa in Jumeirah.