UAE Schools Advice

Rogs_88

UAE Schools Advice

Post by Rogs_88 »

Hi,

Does anybody have experiences of British primary/elementary schools in Dubai etc, or recommend ones that would be good for a teacher going international for the first time with 3 years experience in the UK? Any ideas on salary I could expect? I will have 4 years experience if I move next August/September and I am currently Science coordinator. I would appreciate any help- thanks!
Rogs_88

Re: UAE Schools Advice

Post by Rogs_88 »

Please help if you can!
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

It's hard to answer this for me, because I don't have experience with British curriculum schools in Dubai, though I do have experience with other curriculums. If my time in the Middle East has taught me anything, it's to not work for a for-profit school. So while there are dozens and dozens of "British" schools in Dubai, very few of them are nonprofit: Dubai College, Dubai English Speaking School (DESS), Dubai English Speaking College (DESC), and Jebel Ali Primary School are the only ones I know of. I wouldn't work for anything less than 12,000Dhs per month + housing or housing allowance. And the housing allowance would have to be at least 55,000Dhs. You could make do with less, and I know people who do, but that would be my line.
rudolph

Post by rudolph »

Deira International School (DIS) is owned by ESOL, and while it's true that it's a for profit school, it's also true that the company that owns it has shown a commitment to quality education and treating its people, for the most part, fairly. I'm not at that school, but know those who are. It's a British/IB curriculum school, does hire people new to international teaching (which is why I focus on it here), and while not the highest paying school in Dubai, you would make at least 12000 monthly with a housing allowance around 70k. There are other decent options that pay even more - Repton comes to mind. Gems has numerous British curriculum schools, a couple of which are consistently ranked "outstanding" by the local govt. agency monitoring education (KHDA), so likely good places to work. Those options would probably mean higher pay, but might be tougher to get a look without international experience.
Rogs_88

Post by Rogs_88 »

Thank you for taking the time to reply, that's really helpful information. I've always considered teaching internationally for a few years to try and save a bit of money (still live with parents) and experience a different school and culture. The only problem I have is giving up thr permanent position I have in the UK in a good school and the worry of not being able to get another job on return to the UK. Decisions, decisions!
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

there are also a couple in abu dhabi, though i'm not sure they pay as much as dubai.

no need to limit yourself to brit curriculum either.

good luck!