Statement of Educational Philosophy and Covering Letter

auntiesocial

Statement of Educational Philosophy and Covering Letter

Post by auntiesocial »

Hi all

I am applying to a school that would like both a covering letter and a statement of educational philosophy, as separate entries onto an online application website. As I have only ever written a covering letter which includes my educational philosophy, I was hopeful for some advice as to the distinction between the two. Here's what I assume:

Covering letter: Why I am specifically interested in the school, what I can offer the school, my skills and experience as they would be relevant to the school, as well as a snapshot of me personally.

Statement: Specifically how I approach teaching and learning. My buy-in to the IB philosophy and Inquiry (Full IB school obviously) which aligns with the school's mission statement.

Is this how people understand it? What's the ideal length of each document?

Many thanks for your help.
gibwise

Re: Statement of Educational Philosophy and Covering Letter

Post by gibwise »

I think you have kind of nailed it. whit the covering letter make sure you clearly show how you meet the schools philosophy, mission statement and the job description posted. The covering letter should be 2 sides maximum but if you can do a good job of keeping it concise I think it is better to keep it to one page.

The educational philosophy should also be approximately one side or less. Last time I had to write one I was asked to keep it to under 200 words.
Flyingpigs

Re: Statement of Educational Philosophy and Covering Letter

Post by Flyingpigs »

Yikes--thats a long cover letter. Cover letter is brief, to the point and concise. Three paragraphs--4 maximum.
Very few admin are going to read the back. Honest.
Cover letters:
This is your chance to be specific--do NOT use a form cover letter--tailor it to the school/country you are applying to.
Highlight your career, highlight what makes you unique.
The educational philosophy is like a personal statement --remember Jerry Mcquire?? like that.
Its your belief about how you would run your school if you were king of the world.

Summary:
Ed. P: What is your BELIEF about how kids should be taught.
Cover letter: The cover letter is FACTS about you