What do people think about SONRU interviews?

trefoil

What do people think about SONRU interviews?

Post by trefoil »

Hi

I recently had a SONRU interview. For those who haven't heard of this, it is an automated online interview. So basically questions flash up on the screen, you have a few seconds to read the question and then the screen changes and it is now videoing your answer - you only see yourself, the question and the timer counting down. The questions and amount of time you have to both read and answer them are determined by the school.
I have completed this type of interview twice and it is the pre-curser to a face to face or traditional Skype interview. I found it really stressful as you don't get any kind of conversation, facial cues etc.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the latest school but I am interested to hear what people think of this and if anyone knows what schools are looking for?
marieh

Re: What do people think about SONRU interviews?

Post by marieh »

This is the first I've ever heard of this interview method, and it sounds horrendous. Assuming these are questions relating to experience, philosophy, and pedagogy, why not just send out a list of these questions via email as the first step in the interviewing process?

Perhaps I'm biased because I know that I would fail such an interview miserably. I rely 100% on facial cues and making a personal connection with my interviewer. To be judged solely on my timed answers to pre-selected questions would be disastrous.
trefoil

Post by trefoil »

hi
I assume it is so they can reduce the number of people that they have to sykpe with (as that takes a lot more time and effort for the employers). The lack of cues are really hard and also one of the questions I had seemed really out of place and not related to my area, so I would have liked to ask for clarification on it but I just had to waffle on a bit!

I did stick a little lego pirate to the top of my computer, directly above the camera, so that i had something to look at when I was answering. Interviewing for a lego pirate helped me keep my sense of humour - so hopefully that helped!
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I agree that it sounds like a trend I would not like to see catch on. I guess from an admin point of view it gives you a chance to see and hear a candidate without having to commit to actually scheduling a time to talk to them but it seems a lazy, soulless cop out from a teacher/candidate viewpoint.

Here's hoping it doesn't catch on.
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

Well, if the video interview takes 20 minutes and it takes 20 minutes to review it, then it would have been a bit quicker for a 20 minute skype in the first place where communication channels were open and clarification could be sought by both sides if one was rambling on.

20 + 20 = 40
Route66

Post by Route66 »

I would hate that style of interview... I am currently searching and haven't seen any schools that have decided to use it. hopefully I do not come across any!!!
johncena

Post by johncena »

stions flash up on the screen, you have a few seconds to read the question and then the screen changes and it is now videoing your answer - you only see yourself, the question and the timer counting down. The questions and amount of time you have to both read and answer them are determined by the school.
I have completed this ty

We offer guaranteed success for [url=http://www.learnalanguage.com/learn-japanese/]learnalanguage.com - japanese[/url] exam with help of latest [url=http://www.learnalanguage.com/learn-spanish/]speak spanish[/url] certification and practice questions and the exams of [url=http://www.french.yabla.com/]French Yabla[/url] ccie security [url=http://www.german.about.com/]German.about[/url]
Last edited by johncena on Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its going to become more common.
First, the issue is screening vs. selection. By recording the interview the school can have the interview reviewed by a lower level admin or coordinator, and have the input available for the screening process. This determines who gets to talk to the actual HOS or senior admin. The school doesnt save more time but the HOS does.
Second, its more convenient. You have far less issues with scheduling interviews. with differing time zones. You can do it quickly at your convenience, and the school can review at their convenience. No, middle of the night conference video calls for someone.
Third, it reduces technical issues, Skype takes more internet resources since its bidirectional and real time.
Fourth its far more controlled for the school. They ask you answer, unless you go off script. The admin doesnt have to be "on" with their professional face, they can review your video when they have a couple of minutes and they dont have to prep for an interaction. Less likely they will make a negative impression on the candidate.
Fifth, they can filter and focus. They can review a single 5 minute question and response and either decide to watch more or move on. 5 minutes saves a lot more time then 30 minutes and if at some point they dont like you to begin with, they can hit stop and move to the next candidate, without going through the motions of continuing the interview.
Lastly, its permanent, they can go back to it at anytime if they want to refresh their recollection, or they have future recruiting needs. They can essentially screen and interview candidates at their leisure without ever posting a vacancy.