Anyone else still waiting to hear from Singapore?

LondonChick

Anyone else still waiting to hear from Singapore?

Post by LondonChick »

I applied for a job in a large school there, got an interview 10 days ago and absolute silence since then. Isn't that weird? Don't they usually notify people if they got to the interview stage?
I think it's a bad sign :(
Would rather know though, as I check my emails about 200 times a day!
Fluffy123

Re: Anyone else still waiting to hear from Singapore?

Post by Fluffy123 »

Yes, still waiting here, too.... Sigh! Applied for both big schools which recently advertised- primary teaching, along with husband (also teacher) and young child. We have a lot of international and UK experience, state and private, and I was really hopeful, especially for the British school... I know that they start their short list interviews on 23 Nov, so it's getting late to be notifying. I wonder if schools are just hiring young singles now, even the *good* not for profit ones. I always thought a teaching couple with one dependent would be pretty competitive. Interesting times.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

If it's UWCSEA, the interviewee pool is fairly large and they usually take more than two weeks to let you know the outcome of your first interview. However, if you are a superstar teacher, might take less than that.
Not sure about Tanglin, though.
LondonChick

Post by LondonChick »

I think they do take a long time, I can see it's also the case at my current school (another large international school). It's just so hard to wait for so long!
hitherejen

Post by hitherejen »

I have heard back from the one large Singapore school I applied for at the end of October. Probably not the answer you want to hear, but I had Skype interview on Friday Oct 31st, then heard the Monday to have an interview in London Nov 11th. They said that they would be in touch next week to let me know if I would move on to the next stage... Feel free to PM if I can help with any more details.
giraffe0345

Post by giraffe0345 »

hitherejen wrote:
> I have heard back from the one large Singapore school I applied for at the end of
> October. Probably not the answer you want to hear, but I had Skype interview on
> Friday Oct 31st, then heard the Monday to have an interview in London Nov 11th.
> They said that they would be in touch next week to let me know if I would move on
> to the next stage... Feel free to PM if I can help with any more details.

Hi

Was this Tanglin? I'm still waiting to hear back about my video interview (not Skype just a video one). Wondering if it is time to move on.
hitherejen

Post by hitherejen »

UWCSEA. So maybe still hope then!
giraffe0345

Post by giraffe0345 »

Maybe, we will see. Think it is heading on a bit to get a positive response now. Just surprise not to have had the rejection email yet. Particularly as they are working with a recruitment company who from experience a couple of years ago are on the ball.

Good luck with UWCSEA, hope you get through
lookingforlefty

Post by lookingforlefty »

UWCSEA denied me last week.
Last edited by lookingforlefty on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

@lookingforlefty
Sorry to hear about your denial. UWCSEA looks for teachers who can contribute to the school life at many levels, including very strong contributions to student projects, service trips abroad, weekend activities etc. So, if one wants an 8 to 5 job, it's not a good fit. One has to embrace the school philosophy, big-time. Some teachers burn out easily and leave after two to three years.
Work days are much more hectic than other international schools due to commitments outside the classroom.

So, the goal should be not getting to an elite / selective school, but whether it fits your personality, lifestyle, and preferences. One will work VERY hard being a teacher, mentor, coach, advisor, pastor etc. at UWCSEA.

The UWCs in the UK, Italy, Norway and Bosnia and Herzegovina are well established, whereas those in the Netherlands, Germany are new.
All those UWCs which rely solely on patrons' donations don't pay so well and at the same time, their tuition is minimal. The pay at UWCSEA is good simply because they charge a high tuition.

Good luck with your search. They have one in Hong Kong, too.