How to negotiate a better salary?

Route66

How to negotiate a better salary?

Post by Route66 »

Hi Guys,

Me and my teaching partner have applied for jobs abroad and have recently been offered a job in a school, looking around the forums and elsewhere it seems the offer they sent us was much lower than what we could possibly get. how do you suggest the best ways are to negotiate a better salary and benefits? Any advice from actual situations you have been in?
fine dude

Re: How to negotiate a better salary?

Post by fine dude »

Established and accredited schools have a standard salary scale. They place you based on years of accredited teaching experience in the post-certification period. Cram school / EAL teaching doesn't count.
Having said that, if you have been unfairly placed despite having all the experience and certifications, you should simply send an email to the school head explaining why you deserve a better pay. It's as simple as that.

Pay at tier 2/3 and unaccredited schools is a whole different story. Their pay is based on many unethical and silly factors.
nathan61

Post by nathan61 »

fine dude...

Many excellent and fully accredited, embassy affiliated, board governed schools have room to wiggle around on the salary scale. This is pretty common practice, but it depends on the school.
Route66

Post by Route66 »

@ Nathan61

have you ever negotiated a higher salary? or persuaded a school to move you up the pay scale?
adminpaul

Post by adminpaul »

Here is an ISR blog you might find helpful on this topic

http://internationalschoolsreviewdiscus ... er-salary/
nathan61

Post by nathan61 »

Route66 wrote:
> @ Nathan61
>
> have you ever negotiated a higher salary? or persuaded a school to move you
> up the pay scale?

My experience is that directors often have room to place teachers on a higher step then they would technically get. This seems to be a way to compensate for things like really good experience in non-accredited teaching situations, professional experience in your field, publishing of educational materials etc.

Outright negotiating would be pretty brash, but there are more subtle ways to suggest that salary is an issue and perhaps you feel you deserve a higher step. Sure could sound make you sound greedy if it came out wrong though!
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

@nathan61

I worked at 4 elite schools in Europe and Asia and I have never experienced / heard about the 'wiggle' you are talking about.
When these schools attract the best in teaching and spoiled for choice, why do they have to pay more?
It's like being hired by UWCSEA or Zurich IS and asking for a higher salary than quoted. Ain't gonna happen.
nathan61

Post by nathan61 »

@fine dude

The poster wasn't asking about one of the 4 elite schools you have experienced. They were asking about general trends. At least in the American system there are schools where the director has some room as to where they place the teacher on the salary scale. This is my experience and that of my colleagues. You can also look at the link someone posted above and others mention the same thing.
whynot

Post by whynot »

Same experience as finedude.

@nathan61, when you say 'often' have room to place teachers higher etc, and that this is a general trend, I think that this is misleading at best.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I'm sure negotiation happens but I would be wary of a school that works around salary schedules. I would then wonder what else they are skirting. My experience is that schools that have salary schedules stick to them. Perhaps you would be better off discussing benefits.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

I have worked in five international schools and been offered positions in five or six more. None of the directors had any ability to offer higher salaries or benefits. The best I have ever heard of is a director granting a full year of experience for a half year of maternity leave.

There are not secrets in international schools. The veteran teachers on staff would be very upset to hear a new hire received a salary than they should have.