Working as a non-teaching trailing spouse (in Singapore)

hitherejen

Working as a non-teaching trailing spouse (in Singapore)

Post by hitherejen »

Hello ISR forum-I'm a long time reader, first time poster!

After much consideration, I have been selectively applying for jobs overseas and have now gained a second interview for a teaching post in a school in Singapore. My husband and I (no kids) are keen to travel and earn money in a different part of the world and enjoy seeing some amazing places.

I (hope) I have read enough on here and TES overseas forum to be aware of most things (although help and advice always appreciated), but the one thing I don't feel I have enough information on is what non-teaching trailing spouses can or do do (I have seen the other forum topics, which has been helpful, but I was hoping for more specifics). My husband is a carpenter by trade but, unfortunately, in most countries we are looking at that's not really a viable or practical option (low pay, tools and transport needed, etc). However, it would obviously be very important for him to work, not just to help out financially (although I have been told my package should cover us well), but also as he's not the type to sit around all day.

Our initial thoughts, looking at his other skills and hobbies, would be to gain some qualifications as a personal fitness trainer (he currently has a boxing coaching certificate) and look to do that self-employed/sole-proprietorship in Singapore (or Oman, Thailand or Hong Kong that we are also looking at). Does anyone have or know anyone who does or has done this? I am aware that no one here is an employment advisor for MOM, but knowledge of what others have done in similar situations would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!
shadowjack

Re: Working as a non-teaching trailing spouse (in Singapore)

Post by shadowjack »

Is he experienced with other trades? Managed construction projects and personnel? Ability to multi-task? Perhaps project manager or facilities manager might be something he could explore if your school has that need? Otherwise, why not try to find an IB school, have your husband use his apprenticeship and journeyman status as a springboard into something like product design at MYP or DP level. He could be certified in a year through Teacher Ready or Teach Now.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi-
I spent about 25 years in Singapore teaching at a school there, and have met a lot of families with one of the spouses working and the other "trailing". There are certainly opportunities to work and open your own business. Opening your own business in Singapore is surprisingly easy and inexpensive. I o not remember how it's done, but I simply know others have tried it and succeeded. Once you have your own business name, that's when it becomes difficult- getting business to make it profitable. You can apply for an employment pass and after you register the business. I'm not sure what order it goes in, but I am certain that opening a business is certainly possible. I have a friend who is teaching yoga in his free time, and he simply does it free-lance, without a work permit for his business. However, he does it almost as a hobby and does not look at it as his business.

There are so many fitness places in Singapore, and that might also open the possibility of simply applying and getting a work permit to work there, and since your husband is able to teach boxing, that might open doors also. I've had a colleague of mine there that was training at a couple boxing gyms.

There are also a few places places to study and get a certificate in ESL. Some language schools allow you to teach there and take the courses concurrently, and that is enough to get a work permit. I taught ESL there some of the summers, and that's exactly what I did, and that worked out very well.

I hope this helps.
hitherejen

Post by hitherejen »

Thank you Shadowjack and Rob both very much! Really great to here of people starting there own business and the number of gyms and possible interest in boxing. My husband also has experience with running jobs and basics of other trades, so it is great to think of him possibly getting some work in the school itself as a possibility. I have my second round interview tomorrow and the information from both of you is very useful.

The information I have so far is that my one salary plus housing allowance could be sufficient for both of us (we're not crazy spenders), so anything he could do to earn would be extra, and also, as I said, be important for him to be busy as he's not the sit around type.
Fluffy123

Post by Fluffy123 »

Hi there
You have been given some great advice above, I don't have much to add except I knew a teaching couple in Beijing where the partner (male) retrained as a personal trainer and set up his own business... He catered to wealthy expat wives! He really enjoyed the experience so if you are open to different opportunities that is a possibility. I also had a partner teacher whose husband did the overseas PGCE, and ended up teaching in a nearby school. This is not an easy option though, there has to be a school who will support this in the city.
I am also in the process of applying to Singapore with my husband (and child), can I ask which school you have interviews for?(maybe pm me?) we have heard nothing and I fear we may have missed out on our favourite school (a British one)... Hoping but...
coconutspob

Post by coconutspob »

You are not alone, Fluffy123.

My partner and I applied and we haven't heard anything yet. I think it's likely we have applied to the same school as you, so we may well have missed out too. There are still a couple of weeks to go though, I reckon! Even if we miss out this time, I will always be proud that we were cheeky and gave it a shot. :-D. We will make it to South East Asia eventually. For now, I will continue to daydream whilst keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed. :-D