Saudi Arabia Schools for a Single male

Climberman

Saudi Arabia Schools for a Single male

Post by Climberman »

Does anyone know what schools in Saudi will hire single males? It seems most state they prefer couples.

How much would the salary have to be for a moderately frugal - not cheap - single to save 20-30,000 USD per year?

I teach high school math, 8 years IB experience, HL, SL, MYP plus another 8 years in U.S. public schools.

Thanks for any help.
mamava

Re: Saudi Arabia Schools for a Single male

Post by mamava »

International Schools Group (ISG) has schools in Jubail, Dammam, and Dhahran. They have a number of single men and women working there.
expatteacher99

Post by expatteacher99 »

Aramco hires single males, and from what my single female friends tell me, you would be quite popular here.
hallier

Post by hallier »

@Climberman - do you really want to go to Saudi?

A senior math teacher with IB experiences (and MYP to boot) would be very marketable at a job fair (and before that). If your references are good, I'd imagine there would be plenty of schools in slightly more attractive places that would offer that savings potential and potentially employ you (Singapore, Thailand, China, Malaysia etc etc).
Climberman

Post by Climberman »

Thanks to all for your replies.

Hallier:

To answer your question.

I had a pretty good resume until a few years ago when I had to leave a school in Malaysia due to a problem at home - I did complete my 2 year contract and admin would have gladly hired me back. The last 2.5 years in U.S have been split between 2 public schools.

This last sporadic years might make it difficult for me to get hired - I received ZERO interviews at Cambridge last year - so my plan is to work a few years at an international school where I can at least make money, build my resume back up, and get a few more good references.

I figure in Saudi I can read, workout, and travel.

What do you think?
hallier

Post by hallier »

Could you go back to the school in Malaysia and do another 2-3 years?

I'm a little anti-Saudi as a place to go;)

You do want to make sure with schools in Saudi (and the region generally) that you only go choose schools that have a very large % of expatriates.

I have been in international schools for over a decade now and those teachers who work in the Middle East at schools populated largely by local students rarely have a good time - in fact, for most, it is a terrible experience.

Of course, it's always dangerous to generalise, but that has been my experience.

All the best with your job search:)
twimih

Post by twimih »

Climberman, I think it's a good plan. I'm in Saudi now. You should have no trouble finding a position as a single man. I think they all say they prefer couples because of housing, but it doesn't work out that way in the end. There are only so many couples with the right combination of experience for the openings they have. The read, workout, and travel plan sounds just right - there isn't much else to do. (Travel within the kingdom is becoming easier and very worthwhile.)

I work at a school with Arab/Middle Eastern students and they're great. I have no complaints in that respect. Do your homework, speak to a teacher at the school you're interested in, and find out how things run there. A lot has to do with the administration and expectations they are willing to support. Good luck!