Escuela Campo Alegre - some perspective on Caracas, please?

UnCloudy

Escuela Campo Alegre - some perspective on Caracas, please?

Post by UnCloudy »

Deleted. Best wishes!
Last edited by UnCloudy on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cadaei

Re: Escuela Campo Alegre - some perspective on Caracas, plea

Post by cadaei »

I currently work at ECA. It is a top-notch school with wonderful kids and a good administration, and it's in a country that's experiencing some serious problems right now. Yes, security is an issue. It's not safe to go out after dark, and during the day most people keep their phones hidden and carry "rob money" just in case. That said, we've been here a number of years with no incident, and most staff renew their contract after their 2 year stint is up, including families with small children. Families tend to come home before dark and socialize with other families in their houses and on the school facilities (which are very nice. Pool, soccer fields, tennis courts, playgrounds, etc.). Singles go out, but do so in groups and take cabs from reputable companies. If you are careful, you'll probably be ok, but it's no guarantee.

For me, the hardest thing about being in Venezuela is not the crime, but rather the difficulty of getting basic products such as milk, soap, etc. Because we are paid in dollars we eventually do get all that we need, but it's time consuming and inconvenient. Our dollars also enable us to live like kings. A teaching couple can easily save $30,000 a year while still managing to travel, go out to eat and live well.

There are some amazing things about this country. It is much greener that I ever could have imagined. There is relatively low pollution, lots of trees, and a mountain range with good hiking just 5 km away. The weather is perfect. 25 degrees (77 F) every day, year round. Also, the natural beauty of Angel Falls, Merida and the Orinoco Delta are amazing. Because there are few tourists, these places are pristine beyond belief. Every time I get out of Caracas I realize what richness this country has. The Venezuelan people are very warm, and if you treat them with dignity, they will do anything for you. (On the other hand, routine business is another matter. There is not much of a work ethic in the culture, with personal relationships being much more important than getting things done.)

Venezuela is not for everyone. You need patience, flexibility, and a good head on your shoulders. You need to be ok with the possibility of maybe getting mugged and have a back-up plan. You need to be ok with not having your favorite brand of cheese or shampoo. You need to be ok with inefficiency that will drive you crazy sometimes.

Not sure how much longer I'll stay, but I don't regret having come here at all. The pros have definitely outweighed the cons. The students are lovely, and the parent body is among the most supportive I've ever seen. They are very appreciative of the teachers and have team-like approach. There is professional flexibility to teach as you best see fit. Also, having taught here, considered one of the best schools in all of South America, will put you in a much better position when applying for future jobs.

Good luck with your decision!
Last edited by cadaei on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Deleted. Best wishes!
Last edited by UnCloudy on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
datsyukian

Post by datsyukian »

I am also in Venezuela at a different school. The person who just answered your post hit the nail on the head. Especially the fact that you will be able to save more money in Venezuela if you are paid in dollars than any other country in Latin America. Proceed.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Deleted. Best wishes!
Last edited by UnCloudy on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
datsyukian

Post by datsyukian »

ECA is an exceptional school with top-notch resources and a state of the art facility.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Absolutely top tier school in every way. It was a genuine pleasure to work there. Venezuela is a spectacular country.

However, I would not live in Caracas again until the situation improves. My wife and I left due to several very serious security issues. We have two children now and wouldn't even consider it.

Good luck.