Malaysia

bwatts

Malaysia

Post by bwatts »

Aside from ISKL, what other international schools in Malaysia have a good reputation? How do the rest of them rate regarding salaries, housing and positive working environments?
bwatts

Re: Malaysia

Post by bwatts »

Can anyone offer any first hand knowledge?

My wife and I are really interested in moving to KL but are finding it difficult to find current information as there are only 3 schools on Search. Can anyone offer any concrete info about Garden, Alice Smith, British or Australian School? Any others worth looking into?

Please help!
trefoil

Post by trefoil »

Alice Smith offers a really good package, you can def save and travel around Asia. Housing is expensive in KL but they do offer more to couples and families and you can afford a nice apartment in a safe complex but you wouldn't get close to a house in an expat gated community. They also offer a lot of nice extras like free bus transport if you have kids in a different location than you (the secondary school is a long way from the primary).

I don't know about the other schools but the ones you mentioned are all in a similar league. One thing to remember about Malaysia is that they have a pension scheme, EPF and you and the employer put a % of your wage in every month and then when you finally leave the country you get all that back as a tax free lump sum. It can add up to 20% of your salary, which over 2 or more years is very nice!
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Mt. Kiara is another school worth looking into, though I have no firsthand knowledge of it. Malaysia (especially the good schools) seems like one of the tougher places to get a job, competition is fierce.
bwatts

Post by bwatts »

Thanks for the info, really helpful.

Will have a look at Mt Kiara too. The pension scheme sounds like a useful way to save. Is this a prerequisite for all international schools in Malaysia?

If anyone has any other current information on reputable schools in Malaysia, please let me know.

Thanks!
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

The schools with good packages, as far as I know, are Alice Smith, Garden, Nexus, Australian International School, Mont Kiara. ISKL's package is good and them some more.
Climberman

Post by Climberman »

I just left Montkiara International School. Let me know what you want to know.
calvin76

Post by calvin76 »

Malaysia is terrific for travel opportunities. Life in KL can be a lot of fun, and yes, the EPF pension scheme is a terrific departing gift. I worked at Sunway College in the Canadian International Matriculation Program about 8 years ago. There is also a similar program at Taylor's College, both schools located in the near suburbs of KL proper. Good pay at Sunway, mandatory savings plan, general autonomy as a teacher, students are generally terrific. As they go to this program primarily just for a year (to get grade 12 credits and ultimately a Canadian High School diploma), most are living in dorms, away from parents and in two years, I don't think I personally met a parent once. These kids are generally shoring up their credentials to get into university, so they want to do well. It was a totally different kind of gig than we were used to, but loved it and wouldn't hesitate to return to Malaysia.
Fraisinette

Post by Fraisinette »

Hi - could you please tell me how to apply to Sunway? I can't find the link on their website.

Thanks!
bludgeoned again

Post by bludgeoned again »

How about the schools in Penang? Why are those salaries so low? Are the benefits extra great? What would be the schools to avoid?
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

I was offered a job at Sunway a couple of years. I think they probably only hire Canadians. If you want the recruiters email address PM me.
HereThereEverywhere

Post by HereThereEverywhere »

The schools salaries in Penang are low because the schools aren't top tier plus the "benefits" are living on a tropical island. No, the actual benefits are not great. The main schools there, Prince of Wales, Dalat, and Uplands are roughly on par but its mostly of a choice of new school, american/religious school, british school.
bludgeoned again

Post by bludgeoned again »

Wow, that is surprising. I'd heard Uplands was a good school. Don't the DP students score well? Anyhow, looks like KL is better for pay, benefits and maybe even for my career.