ISKL

runningsloth

ISKL

Post by runningsloth »

Hello:

I know this there are multiple entries involving ISKL on the website, but I had a few specific questions maybe someone out there could answer. Essentially, I am looking to see if it would be possible to survive there on 1 salary with a non-working spouse and two little kids. My wife currently works at my school as well in a high needs area, but would like to take a year off with our 2 little ones and then get back into her position.

What is the salary like for somebody with a Masters and 7 years experience?
What are taxes like?
Is the housing allowance sufficient?
Could a family of 4 survive on 1 salary there and still be able to enjoy life? (Do you have to be a teaching couple to be hired?)

Of course, any other info would be greatly appreciated.
shadowjack

Re: ISKL

Post by shadowjack »

Most importantly, would they be likely to fly 4 people in on one hire and provide housing for four on one hire?

My suggestion would be to find a school with a pre-school, where you and your wife can go to school with your kids every day, check in on them, and go home with them. It will start the routine for when they begin PreK and then KG at a school.

Whichever way it turns out, good luck with your job hunt!
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

Masters + 7 in the region of 60-65k USD

Housing allowance (on top of salary and about 1.2k USD after tax) sufficient for a spacious family sized apartment.

Income tax will be around 20% of your total income.

A family of four will do just fine on one salary.

They will hire you with a non working spouse and two kids and will pay medical, flights etc for all of you.
runningsloth

Post by runningsloth »

Dover and Shadowjack,

Thanks for the replies. ISKL does have a pre-school starting at 3 (Prep Reception) so we could definitely begin the routine early. Am I an expensive hire? Of course with 3 dependents in tow. However; my wife is a school counselor. Working at the same school I am right now. We both have multiple degrees and +7 years experience. School counselors are hard to find. So, when she wants to work (would like to take 1 year off), I think they might see the benefit of having her in the future.
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

Number of dependants isn't a big issue for ISKL. Obviously if everything else is equal then it becomes a factor. But if they don't give you the job then it's likely that it's because they give it to someone who they think is a better fit and not about the money. Good luck!
riverside

Post by riverside »

delete