China police regulations

whynot

China police regulations

Post by whynot »

I saw this comment the other day:
"the local police office requires all teachers to register every time they travel out of China or face a fine. If you go to Hong Kong for the weekend, you have to let them know....POLICE STATE!"

Myself and my partner, who between us have a few years of China under our belt, have never seen or heard of this before - has anyone else? Maybe it is school or location dependent...
PATeach

Re: China police regulations

Post by PATeach »

It says so right on the back of your entry/departure card. Every time you get a stamp for entering China, you're supposed to go to the closest police station to your residence within 24 hours to register. Every time you leave and come back.

If you stay at a hotel, the hotel registers you. It's a painless process--the desk that does it is never busy and it takes about 2 minutes total.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

It's definitely a requirement but I don't know anyone who does it. That would be almost enough to discourage me from going anywhere.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I've never checked back in with my local police station when returning from a trip. That is living in China for over four years in two different cities.

You'd have a problem traveling within China without taking your passport because hotels do this as Whynot mentioned.

After you receive your resident permit, you do have to check in with the local police station. Sometimes they send an officer by to check that you live there. My first year the police did that and they only thing they asked was where our luggage was located. They saw it and quickly left. The biggest hassle was going to the local police station and waiting for them stop smoking cigarettes long enough to do something. Our real estate agent came along to help us. Pretty easy.