Schools/countries to look to or avoid if you're a minority

justateacher

Schools/countries to look to or avoid if you're a minority

Post by justateacher »

I am starting a search as an African American female. I was advised at one point to not look at Japan. Would you feel that is still the case? I am open to Japan and pretty much anywhere in the world. I just want to be in a top school that is truly international as I am bringing my children and plan to stay put for at least four years. Ideally my children won't be the only black children in the building. Can anyone shed some light on places they feel are less or more welcoming? Thank you!
curiousme

Re: Schools/countries to look to or avoid if you're a minori

Post by curiousme »

I know that at least some schools in Thailand won't hire you if you're not white. But there are others that will. Have a look on a school's website to check their staff pics and you'll soon see if they hire non-Caucasians. I know from personal experience that Thais can be quite racist against dark skin but never to your face (unless you understand Thai and then you hear it all unfortunately.)
I wouldn't avoid Japan.
Malaysia is a very diverse country ethnicity-wise so you'd blend in without too much trouble.
Just be aware that in some countries you will be stared at, but not necessarily in a nasty way.

Bottom line - if you like the look of a school/country, give it a go!
Micky

Post by Micky »

I have seen African American teachers teaching in various QSI schools and most of their schools also have black kids. I have no clue if the students are mainly from the West or from Africa so there could still be a cultural difference. I wish you all the best and think that if you steer clear of the schools that cater mainly to locals and focus on truly international schools there shouldn't be many problems. However, I am Caucasian so I am only speaking from opinion, and not from experience. Wish you all the best.
SafariDude

Post by SafariDude »

I found Germany to be way more racist than Japan. The Japanese are wonderful. Yes they stick to their own. But they are way more curious about you and will make a effort to engage in conversation and practice theri English with you.

Germans were cold, moody and some of them most unfriendliest people I've ever met. It was a few years ago, maybe they've learned how to smile?
MIS

Post by MIS »

Japan is truly the friendliest country I've ever visited.
smsmissy

Post by smsmissy »

IS Manila hires all nationalities! Great school and country! Manila leaves a lot to be desired but the pay is fantastic, the holidays are wonderful and the school is awesome!
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

A highly qualified friend of mine was refused an interview with Rumrudee in Thailand because of her skin color. The interviewer implied it was because parents wouldn't accept a non-white teacher, but really isn't it the school's responsibility to embody good values despite what parents may think? It's an IB school after all.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

When I worked in Korea, it was pretty much caucasian only. Sure you might find a few good schools here and there that would hire you, but in my experience the racism was fairly open. Even some of the postings from recruiters and schools was very blunt.
But as others have said, there are exceptions to the rule. If it interests you, go for it!
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Ignore the negativity around. If you bring awesomeness to the table, nothing else matters. Yes, apply directly to established schools, be it Japan (YIS, ASIJ, SMIS) or Thailand (IS BKK, NIST), and just showcase your excellent work on a website or in an electronic portfolio. However, there are countries in Eastern Europe, say Czech Republic and Hungary, where being a coloured person would make day-to-day life challenging in general. This is purely due to locals' mindset, not the school's.

Why do you want to apply to second-rate schools, who know very little about education and who don't treat teachers as true professionals?
SushiBreakfast

Post by SushiBreakfast »

I work in Japan at a small school. There is one black faculty member on staff. In the city, I personally know at least one black JET English teacher. I can't speak to demographics of the student body at international schools in Japan, as my school is too small from which to draw any conclusions.

The Japanese people are the most polite people I've ever met, and while there is definitely some xenophobia in the country, I've never seen or heard of any racism directed towards black foreigners (but I'm white, so take that with a grain of salt).

I would definitely try to apply. Don't be discouraged.

--Sushibreakfast

P.S. Now if you were Korean, on the other hand... Might be a different story.