Online US teacher certification programs

tcatsninfan

Online US teacher certification programs

Post by tcatsninfan »

Hi everyone! Currently I'm working as an EFL teacher in an elementary school overseas, but I'd like to get certified as a teacher in the US so that I can make the leap to international schools in the future.

However, the logistics of moving back to the US after my contract is finished in order to begin the certification process would be problematic--I don't have a car anymore, I'd have to scrounge around and find some kind of job in the meantime, etc.

That's when I remembered that a friend had told me about TeacherReady. From what I understand, this course would prepare me to take the state exams in FL, which I would have to travel back to FL to do once I'm done.

Here are my questions:

1. I'm not missing anything, am I? I could use TeacherReady--or a similar online certification program--to get certified to teach in the US, which is one of the things international schools look for, correct?

2. Are there any other courses similar to TeacherReady that maybe...cost less? TR runs $5000 USD and takes 9 months to complete.

3. How likely is it that an international school would hire me once I'm certified? I wouldn't have worked as an elementary/middle/high school teacher at that point, but my bachelor's degree is in English for what it's worth. I realize the best international schools wouldn't hire me, but would I be able to find a job somewhere to start getting experience?

So, to summarize I suppose, I'm trying to make the jump to international schools without moving back to the US and with as little pain/money as possible.

Thanks in advance for any information or advice!
marieh

Re: Online US teacher certification programs

Post by marieh »

1. No, you're not missing anything. It will give you a Florida State teaching license, and you can do the student teaching portion of the program while still in Korea.

2. From my research, TeacherReady was the least expensive option. Keep in mind, however, that that figure doesn't include the cost of exams (which you must return to the US to take) and the state processing fees. Also, 9 months is how long the program itself takes. From the time you start to the time you receive your license is more like 12 months.

3. You may have to decide between a good school or a good location, but you will be able to find a job. If you are getting an endorsement in math or science, you will likely have more options.

This is precisely the approach I and several of my friends have taken, and we are now all gainfully employed in international schools. Good luck!
julierob25

Post by julierob25 »

What about 'American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence'? I don't know anyone who has used ABCTE but it is an online certification program and cost less than TR. Anyone know anything more about ABCTE?
marieh

Post by marieh »

I looked into the ABCTE program initially, but it appears that you must work as a teacher in one of the participating states before they will give you the full license. Perhaps not the best solution if, like the OP, you have no desire to teach in the US.
tcatsninfan

Post by tcatsninfan »

marieh wrote:
> 1. No, you're not missing anything. It will give you a Florida State
> teaching license, and you can do the student teaching portion of the
> program while still in Korea.
>
> 2. From my research, TeacherReady was the least expensive option. Keep in
> mind, however, that that figure doesn't include the cost of exams (which
> you must return to the US to take) and the state processing fees. Also, 9
> months is how long the program itself takes. From the time you start to the
> time you receive your license is more like 12 months.
>
> 3. You may have to decide between a good school or a good location, but you
> will be able to find a job. If you are getting an endorsement in math or
> science, you will likely have more options.
>
> This is precisely the approach I and several of my friends have taken, and
> we are now all gainfully employed in international schools. Good luck!

Great reply! Thanks so much for the info, especially coming from someone who has "been there." I'm curious about one more thing: who did you use for references? It seems like a lot of international schools are big on them. I could get my Korean coteacher to write a good reference, but it'd be regarding teaching English the language rather than English the subject. Did you have a similar situation after completing TeacherReady?
munybse

Post by munybse »

You will, hopefully, be able to get a strong letter of recommendation from your mentor teacher. I am in the final phases of the Teacher Ready program as well and so far I have got a lot out of it.
marieh

Post by marieh »

I used my mentor teacher, my principal at the school where I did my student teaching, and a coworker from my previous EFL school.