Resigning During Three-Month Probation Period

livinglarge

Resigning During Three-Month Probation Period

Post by livinglarge »

Since arriving at my new teaching position in a brand new school this past August I have found many of the conditions (“you will have this, you can do that”) as they were described to me in the interview to not be true. (The pressure on me to sign the offer was a big red flag I realize now.) I feel I was at best seriously misled if not outright lied to about a lot of things. I am nearing the end of my three-month probation and am seriously considering resigning, which my contract states that I can do within that time.

My question is this: how do the recruiters and/or future employers view someone who has left a position during the contractually stated three-month probation period? From what I have read in this forum recruiters don’t look any more favorably on you if you stick it out for a full year of a two-year contract—whatever the reason—so I think now, since my contract allows for it, would be a better time. But maybe they look at that just as unfavorably?!

I did my research on the company—they have many schools and the reviews were generally good—so I feel I did my due diligence but there is no way to know for sure with a new school. Has anyone else been in this situation and what was the outcome for you? Were you able to find another job for the remainder of that school year? I would welcome any advice and sharing of similar experiences you all may have for me.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Resigning During Three-Month Probation Period

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Hi. I don't have specific personal experience on resigning during a 3 month probation period but figured I would throw my 2 cents in, for what it's worth. I have been teaching overseas for almost 10 years now at multiple schools and I have never been at a school that had a probation period where the teacher could resign without penalty.

I do think that taking advantage of that right in the contract could have a negative impact on future employment prospects. That's not to say that you will not be able to find a good position but you will need to be wary of the possible fallout. Even if you would not technically be doing a runner, future employers may be put off by your quick exit from the school/country in question. How much of a negative impact pulling out will have could be dependent on the answers to some relevant questions.

What kind of reference would you get from your current school? What is the reputation of the school like and will prospective employers be satisfied with your reasons for leaving? Do you have a strong CV with other more long term, successful experiences? Are you in a reasonably high need area such as math or science?

I think that you may be somewhat better off leaving now then you would be if you broke contract after a year but would also be interested in input from some admin types. I think that getting a decent position for the rest of the year would be a bit dicey but would come down to timing and luck, as well as your area of teaching.

Sorry that I have more questions than answers but hopefully others may have more useful input.
sid

Post by sid »

Are you certain of the terms that would apply if you resign? Would you get a return air ticket and shipping paid? Seems doubtful to me based on what I know of schools in general.
The fact that there is technically an out for an early resignation does not mean that there would be smiles all around and the school covering all your expenses.
And other schools will indeed view it badly overall. You signed on for two years and lasted less than a term. It will not speak well of your ability to adapt and persevere, two key qualities in this business.
I'm personally sympathetic, sometimes you just know you need to go, but be pragmatic. If you do leave, be fully aware of the impact this will have.
You may or may not be able to find work for the rest of this year. There are schools in a pinch, I've seen adverts for some recently in war zones, and there are schools that will need maternity cover etc. It seems unlikely you will find a better position than the one you're leaving. You may find yourself underemployed, unemployed, or employed in quite a dodgy area. Are those scenarios acceptable to you?
livinglarge

Post by livinglarge »

Thanks so much for the very constructive feedback! All very good questions and points to ponder. I too have wondered especially if they would actually honor the clause, or at best how difficult they would make it for me to actually leave if they did. I have been teaching internationally for the past nearly 4 years and have never not honored my contract to the best of my ability so this would be a very difficult step for me if I chose to take it. It's very hard to have respect for your boss when they obviously purposely misled you to lure you in. I really thought I was smarter than that. But after much thought and some sleepless nights I have decided to look at the positive aspects which are few but significant--pay checks have been as stated, on time and reimbursements generous, not to mention a great group of hard-working colleagues, and stick it out. Things can only get better! Thanks again. I knew this group would give me good advice!