Does one bad review mean avoiding a school?

scoobysue

Does one bad review mean avoiding a school?

Post by scoobysue »

I have an interview with a school that has a very poor review over on the reviews section here. There is only one review, and it's scathing. I'll ask about the points in the review during interview.

However, is it best to avoid any school that has a bad review?
whynot

Re: Does one bad review mean avoiding a school?

Post by whynot »

Of course not. Bad fits, people with grudges or difficult personal circumstances etc. happen in most schools. However, you are right to raise the points mentioned (maybe you could try doing it in a roundabout way, see if they avoid the issues). Also, do a lot of research, you might be amazed what comes out of a careful internet search. And if you want, mention the schools name on here, there's bound to be people who know something. Also, look at similar schools, e.g. same country, governance system etc. Might give you some clues.
If there really does appear to be an issue, is it important enough to you to not proceed? Different strokes etc.
shadowjack

Re: Does one bad review mean avoiding a school?

Post by shadowjack »

You might also want to examine the website and see if you can scope out staff emails. Randomly send a few asking for feedback.

One review doesn't give you the flavour. Now if there were 5 or more, you can discern a pattern, if they are recent.

If you are already overseas, you should know how to read between the lines.

PM me with the name of the school - if I know anything about it I would be happy to share privately.

shad