lowball myself to get foot in door?

jayhawk

lowball myself to get foot in door?

Post by jayhawk »

Hello All,

I've applied to a position that is likely hard to fill (Central Asia). I'm not yet certified and the job isn't in my certification area, but I am certainly qualified for this role (sorry to be so vague). I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on how much I might be able to sway a decision if I were to come out about being a cheap hire? This job is about as close as it gets to a dream job for me, it's in a dream location, I'm not in this for the money, and I could probably use it to finish up the requirements of my certification program. What might I expect making it known (pre-interview) that I would take the position for, say, 80% of the normal salary? Could it be detrimental?

Thanks for your thoughts.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: lowball myself to get foot in door?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Well, given what you have revealed, responses may be only vaguely helpful to you but...

I would advise against coming across as so blatantly desperate/undervaluing what you do. You are already uncertified and unexperienced (at least in this area) and so should already be a cheap hire (and, is this really a dream job if it is at a school that would be swayed by saving a few dollars on a teacher hire?).

Normally you are trying hard to sell yourself to the school and this is difficult to do when you are also trying to offer yourself so cheaply. In my opinion, you are better off spinning your experiences and requirements for the job as best you can and telling them sincerely why this would be your dream job and dream location (as well as what other things you could bring to the job/offer the school). Normally salary is not brought up before an interview (sometimes a second interview). If salary comes up at interview, I suppose you could find a tactful way to let them know that you would be willing to start at the bottom of the scale, but even then I would advise against (you have made it that far, why not just try and push for the job at the appropriate salary for your qualifications).

Good luck and keep us posted.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Agree with wordtrvlr, and want to add that you will make no friends either using this strategy.
MIS

Post by MIS »

Agree with what has already been posted. Don't come off as desperate, come off as incredibly ambitious and enthusiastic. Don't sell yourself as a business proposition, sell yourself as an undervalued asset. One that they won't regret taking a chance on. Then when you get the job, prove them right at every opportunity.

Best of luck.
jayhawk

Post by jayhawk »

Thanks for the replies. I get that selling myself as an undervalued asset is a much better approach, but we've already reached the point where they are following up on my references and things appear to have stalled. At this point I'm not even sure I'll get another chance to sell myself at all. I'm not sure what's going on. Only one of my references appears to have been contacted. They are a very close friend and I find it unimaginable that he/she would've undermined my candidacy in any way. I'm kind of in this limbo stage where I feel like now I'm just waiting to hear a negative, unless I do something to direct the momentum in my favor.
mamava

Post by mamava »

You may have already had "the chance." If the school has read your paperwork and seen you aren't yet certified, and then called a reference, that may be as far as it goes. There are a lot of applicants for each position--if you're competing with certified teachers, that will often carry more weight. All of us, no matter how certified or experienced, have had an application for a position that we knew we could do well stall out. Don't ever sell yourself short--always emphasize what you can do and have done--but be prepared that being uncertified will count against you in a number of schools. Good luck!
jayhawk

Post by jayhawk »

Hey mamava,

I'm slowly starting to accept that I may have missed my only chance. Although they've gone as far as to check a reference, maybe two, I didn't do myself any favors in the sense that I could've done a much better job of selling myself as per the advice here. Hopefully, lesson learned.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Jayhawk,

love the reference to the "only chance". Jobs at international schools come and go all the time. Don't panic, get your ducks lined up and wait for your chance.