Just Testing the Waters

agmeyer

Re: Just Testing the Waters

Post by agmeyer »

No, I have been a fully licensed teacher for two years now. My emergency license was for only two months before I was fully certified. My alternative program is not like other alternative programs where you get an emergency license. I had to complete six hours of graduate work then I became fully certified.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Deleted. Best wishes!
Last edited by UnCloudy on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agmeyer

Post by agmeyer »

My only hesitation right now is if it doesn't work out. This is a major concern. Many of the recruiting services require a reference from my current principal. I have a very good relationship with him, but don't want to ruin this by asking for a reference for another job. I have paid for TIE and I'm currently working applications through this service. I understand the whole is it worth it questions; if I get a job then yes, if I don't then no. If I don't get a job, I don't want to be stuck without a job here because it was anticipated that I was leaving the country (if that makes sense, it did in my head but maybe not). Has anyone had luck using just TIE?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

agmeyer, from your original post it sounded like you were about to be certified while doing this program.

So to recap - you have not taught HS math, only MS math. You taught that in a state with some of the lowest standards/results in the US (not your fault and I am not saying your classes were like that, but reputation is a hard thing to shake).

My question is how badly do you want to go overseas? There are schools that would hire you, but I am not sure you would want to work at them. As I suggested, why not finish your masters (is it related to math specifically, or just to curriculum and instruction in general? Did you learn anything geared to HS math?) and get some HS math experience that you can use to showcase a range of teaching levels.

In the end, only you can make that decision. If your heart is set on going, then go. Put your name out there and see what happens. Sometimes it works out great. Other times not so great. My advice, if you do recruit, is hope for the best, plan for the worst. Do not take jobs at schools that ask you to come in on a tourist visa (we will sort it out when you arrive...LOL), do not take jobs at schools that don't provide housing, or flights. Good luck - keep us posted and I hope it works out the way you hope!

shad
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I wouldn't worry too much about ruining your current job situation just by asking for a reference (although only you can judge your specific, unique situation). If you word it right, you should be fine: I have this dream of teaching overseas, probably will never happen but feel like I need to at least get registered and go through the process...yada yada yada.

People come and go in teaching and your head should realize that you own personal/professional growth may require you to leave at some point.
MIS

Post by MIS »

A couple things:

1. Even with Tie, you aren't landing a job without references. Your principal is going to get contacted, and it's in your best interest to make him aware beforehand if you want to have any chance of landing a position.

2. Any respectable administrator isn't going to stand in your way of perusing a dream. Talk to your principal, be honest with him, tell him you love your current job but that your lifelong dream is to teach internationally. Be upfront about the fact that signing with a recruiting agency doesn't guarantee you a job and that you aren't just looking to jump at the first opportunity.

I absolutely loved my previous administrator. I taught her daughter and was a close family friend. The last thing I wanted to do was tell her I was leaving. When I finally mustered up the courage to do it, she was incredibly supportive. She didn't want me to go at all. I had great test scores, was a coach, etc. But she was completely supportive and wrote me a great reference in spite of it, because in her own words she said she never wanted to hold someone back from fulfilling their dream.

Granted, maybe your principal won't be as understanding, but if he's worth catering to he will be. Honestly will take you a long way in this world. If it angers him enough to the extent that he writes you a bad reference or holds it against you, he isn't the kind of principal you need to work for to begin with.

The key, at least in my mind, is letting him know that you're trying to fulfill a life dream, not run away from your current situation, and that nothing is certain, so he won't assume that you're more or less quitting. You don't want him thinking you have a foot out of the door, but you do want him to know that you're open to a great opportunity and that your future is uncertain.

Best of luck.