SPED options in Japan

Kilg0re

SPED options in Japan

Post by Kilg0re »

Hello all,

I want to get a gauge from people that have experience working for international schools in Japan and/or are Learning Support/Special Education teachers in international schools (anywhere).

Background: I am an American male SPED teacher in my lower-30's. Less than 5 years’ experience, but with several years’ experience "teaching" English in Japan in the past. I'm certified to be a classroom teacher from K on up to middle school, but have only worked as a special needs teacher (almost exclusively with students that have mild to moderate learning impairments). I have no IB experience or training, but have a Master's in SPED as well as Reading and ESOL endorsements (for whatever that's worth). My wife is a Japanese national and we're looking to move back by next summer. If it matters, I speak Japanese, though not terribly well.

So here are my questions:

1) How difficult is it to find a job as a SPED teacher? How saturated is the field?
I am under the impression from what I've gleaned during my job search, that top-tier schools tend to have Learning Support positions but that lower-tier schools do not. That's nice in a way as I'd love to work at a higher-tier school and benefit from the better... well, benefits... On the other hand, it stands to reason that higher-tier school are more discerning and I worry that my lack of experience may hurt my chances when competing with other individuals that undoubtedly have more international experience and/or IB experience.

2) Would playing up my ties to Japan be counter-productive?
I have been mentioning that my wife is Japanese in cover letters to alleviate the concern that a school might have about her visa, but I wonder if playing that up might paint me as someone that ONLY wants to live in Japan and not as a serious teacher. Reality is kind of both, that I'm a serious teacher that is not (at this time) interested in living somewhere other than Japan.

3) If nothing materializes and we move back to Japan, and I take a non-certificated teaching position... Would I be shooting myself in the foot with regard to later obtaining the kind of job I'm actually after? Would it be easier to get a SPED position if I were already in country? Along these lines, does subbing at a decent school ever turn into working full-time at that school in your experience(s)?

Apologies for the novel. Brevity is not my strong suit...
wrldtrvlr123

Re: SPED options in Japan

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Hi. I'm also a SPED teacher who has taught in Japan (and several other countries). In my experience I would say a majority of decent size int'l schools have a SPED department, even if that dept. is only one person or one person per division of the school (in Beijing for example, virtually everyone of the 15 schools I was familiar with has at least one SPED person and most had several).

There are a fair number of schools in Japan and so there will be a reasonable number of jobs opening up every year. I can't really say whether your wife being Japanese helps or hurts you on a cold call application. BUT, the bottom line is that a decent to great school is not going to care about having to get your wife a visa so you may want to leave it off on the off chance that could hurt you in some way. If you can play up other areas that would let schools know you would not have any culture shock/settling in issues (having lived or traveled in Japan, speak Japanese etc) then that would be a plus.

Would being in country help you to get a job? Yes, but it would also open you up for schools to only offer you a local hire contract which would not likely include a housing allowance (which would be very important). Again, the same problem could be a possibility if you are subbing at a school. Also, don't worry about the IB part so much. Not all schools are IB (ASIJ, the "best" school in Japan is not, for example) and we SPED people are a different breed anyway. BTW, I know that ASIJ will have SPED openings this year.

Best advice is to play up any and all Learning Support, inclusion and/or resource room experience and downplay/spin any self-contained, more involved experience, unless you have done your research and know that the school has a more comprehensive program,

Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions.
Kilg0re

Post by Kilg0re »

Wonderful response. Thank you very much for the time you took.

I believe ASIJ's position is for two years from now, unless you know more than is posted on their website. Still... good to know, though, that the lack of IB experience isn't quite the dagger in the heart I'd read it was.

I will continue to plug away and rework my cover letters a bit based on this advice...

Again, much appreciated, wrldtrvlr123.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

My pleasure. You may also want to consider DoDDS schools (Dept. of Defense schools for US military dependents). There are many bases in Japan and DoDDS offers an excellent package (better than the vast majority of int'l schools). It wouldn't quite be the true international experience but you would live off post in most places and your life outside of school is whatever you want it to be. And, having base privileges does have its advantages. Jobs are hard to come by but SPED is a good area to be in and it costs nothing to get your application in while you pursue other options.

I wish you the best of luck. Teaching (SPED in my case) has provided us with a with a very nice living overseas.