New graduate...what are my options?

eriniggy

New graduate...what are my options?

Post by eriniggy »

Hello all,

I am graduating in May with my Masters in Early Childhood and Childhood Education (birth-gr. 6) and will be certified to teach in NYS but not until May once my student teaching is completed. I have one year of experience teaching Kindergarten in Egypt at a Tier 3 school and another year of experience teaching PreK in the US. My questions are...will schools even think of hiring someone before they actually have their certifications completed? Could I get a contract with a school this winter/spring for an Aug. 2015 start date? And if so, what are some schools I could look into applying to?

I do not think I qualify for Search or ISS because my second year of teaching experience was in PreK and I don't think student teaching counts. Considering I will have my masters degree, I really do not want to be labelled an intern.

Any comments and suggestions would be very helpful!
marieh

Re: New graduate...what are my options?

Post by marieh »

I was hired by my current school 6 months before completing my certification program. Can you show some sort of evidence (test scores or a letter by your program coordinator) that you will indeed be certified by then? I found that directors were much more interested in speaking with me when I was able to show them that I had already completed the state cert exams and was just waiting on the program itself.

Also, check your PMs.
nikkor

Re: New graduate...what are my options?

Post by nikkor »

It's hard to say which schools might be interested. If you really need an intl job before you have your degree, go to the UNI fair. Interview, but don't expect to be hired. Then keep watching for schools that have last minute openings in May.

You may end up in a war zone or somewhere there has been an Ebola outbreak :-).