Best school in Vietnam - HCMC?

curiousme

Best school in Vietnam - HCMC?

Post by curiousme »

I know it's subjective and depends what you're looking for, but what schools would it be difficult to turn down an offer from? Looking for a decent salary (to support a family), professional development and good (kind, understanding, competent) management.
Rob

Re: Best school in Vietnam - HCMC?

Post by Rob »

I was an emergency one year replacement at Saigon South International School a few years ago, and I regret not agreeing to being there for two years. I have only positive comments about the school. It's in District 7, which had walkable streets, nice restaurants, and a very international community.

My opinion.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

BISV, SSIS and ISHCMC are considered the top 3. Each one has its own supporters.

UNIS Hanoi has the best reputation in the country - although whether it's deserved I couldn't say.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Good question. I love HCMC and have been going there on semi-regular basis for over a decade. However, I haven't heard anything good about the schools there. Lots of for-profit places with local-style management - no thanks. And, the tax situation for expats now there is apparently dire...
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

When we looked at HCMC, we were surprised to find out how many of the schools are for-profit. They almost ALL are. I'd do a bit of research about that to decide on schools.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

I've heard from multiple people that South Saigon is the top school in HCMC. I also have friends who work there, and they are very happy.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

What a helpful lot! Thank you.

What's this about the tax situation?

Which schools are not-for-profit? (I'll research but helpful if you already know...)

Thanks again.
SKMNVMAH

Post by SKMNVMAH »

Saigon South is proprietary but not for profit.
Sunbird

Post by Sunbird »

Saigon South is undergoing a lot of change. All admin is new or 1 year old. The HOS has a vision and is implementing it. It is stressful to work there.
ExpatinAsia99

Post by ExpatinAsia99 »

UNIS easily offers the best salary and benefits in Vietnam (tax free) and is the only true not-for-profit in Vietnam (SSIS is apparently too, however it is still owned by the Phu My Hung Corporation), but it's in Hanoi. HCMC is the better city to live in based on things like weather and lifestyle. Hanoi was better to visit though, much more to see and do as a tourist, lots of places around Hanoi too.

When I lived in HCMC, SSIS and BIS were known as the top schools. ISHMC had the Cognita thing going on, which made it unfavorable, though I have heard from friends still there that it is much better with the Admin who came over from NIST.
NY2Asia

Post by NY2Asia »

New to the board, teaching in Vietnam.

Was on the Concordia Hanoi campus a couple months ago and teachers there seemed very happy with what was going on there. They're connected with the Concordia in Shanghai and HKIS as well. I met both UNIS and Concordia teachers that weekend and their pay packages were similar, but overall Concordia teachers gave off the vibe that they were enjoying their work more. Concordia is a non-profit as well.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

NY2Asia wrote:
> teachers there
> seemed very happy with what was going on there. They're connected with the
> Concordia in Shanghai and HKIS as well. . . overall
> Concordia teachers gave off the vibe that they were enjoying their work
> more. Concordia is a non-profit as well.

It is also a Christian School following the traditional education of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.

Curious about how long they'll be allowed to stay in the country. The Vietnamese government is notoriously hard on evangelicals and their proselytizing.