Non-renewal of contract

Teal

Non-renewal of contract

Post by Teal »

How often are contracts not renewed by International Schools? Is there always a reason or not and is it stated? What types of reasons are given? Several people at my school have been asked to leave while several others have been placed on an Effective Teaching Improvement Track and do not know if they will be offered a contract.
sid

Re: Non-renewal of contract

Post by sid »

How long is a piece of string?
It depends on the school, the administrators, the teachers.
Outside of Europe, most international schools offer little protection in the form of unions and national laws. In most cases, the school has the right not to renew, and in most cases, the school will also have some policies somewhere about timelines, appraisal, available support. In other cases, schools can and will do what they want, whenever. I like to believe that's the minority of schools, but it does happen. And in some cases, even a good school will let a good teacher go at the end of a contract, just because it's not a good fit, nothing to do with the quality of the teacher.
But if it's happening a lot at your school, and the people are unaware of why, that's not a good sign at all. But take care that they aren't feigning ignorance. I've seen it happen too, again rarely, that a teacher has been put on probation, counseled, supported, shown the policies, and after months of support with insufficient growth from the teacher, the teacher has been shocked, shocked I tell you, to find out that their job was at stake. Sorry if I sound flippant, I'm really not, but it does happen sometimes that people really don't want to see what's right in front of them.
But again, if there are too many people this is happening to, and there seems to be no good reason as to why, that's not good. A good school is transparent about its policies and expectations, and supportive with staff who need it.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Personally, I think non-renewal of contracts should take place more often. It's the most civilized way to move under-performing or toxic teachers out of your environment.
robinbanks

Post by robinbanks »

I applied for a job at a new school and was promised the moon, large monetary investment, improvements and upgrades to ancient and unsafe equipment. It sounded like a great opportunity. However after a year i have been informed that there is no money for improvements and i will be expected to teach a new local curriculum. I started applying for another post in my second year. The Principal was furious and said that i lacked commitment to the school and i wasn't a good fit. I mentioned that the job wasn't as it had been sold and i had every right to apply for more suitable jobs.He promptly decided not to reneiw my contract. I have never had a non-renewal in 20 years of teaching and have impeccable references from all of my previous principals. This has come as rather a shock to me and i am concerned about the damage it may cause to my reputation. Is it best to resign before my contract is not renewed? I am working in Hong Kong.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@robinbanks

You are in HK, so dont resign. Stay out your contract, your HOS just sounds like they would just claim in addition to whatever else they say that you broke contract, which could have complications with your agency, etc. Nothing you "technically" do is going to mitigate what your HOS will or can say, and new head will contact your last employer, and theres nothing you can do to keep them from saying whatever they are going to say. Everyone else in HK probably knows about your HOS, so start looking for another school in HK, and then once you have a couple years there and a new reference you can bury the current school in your resume. Begin by looking for supporters at your current school preferably in a leadership role that can provide you a reference.

In the future be more careful about your job searches. Admins should always be the last to know about everything.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

When are contracts handed out? Had you already signed for next year? If they have not been handed out yet, you should put in your resignation immediately. Then you can say that you resigned rather than you didn't have your contract renewed. Problem solved (in a way) for any questions that come from job applications or potential employers.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

That will make no difference what so ever. It doesnt matter what an IT says, what matters is what the principal will say. If you say you resigned before the end of your contract, then youve just admitted to breaking contract, and then they are going to ask "why"? None of that will matter when now the prospective principal is really going to have to call the school to make sure there wasnt "misconduct" that would be eligible for debarring. Then whatever the principal says its going to sound like your hiding something.
ShakHak

Post by ShakHak »

I'd say it depends on the region of the world you're in. Here in the ME the only thing that's constant is how often everything changes. Location of groceries in the supermarket, local laws & contracts. Which by the way change A LOT & sometimes they're honored, sometimes they're not.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

Apologies. I did not mean resign immediately. I meant the official, "I'm not coming back next year" resignation. You know...when the school asks if you're returning. You can say no , you're not coming back. That's all. Sorry for the confusion.